Chapter 40

Percy's POV

I peeked into my office and the stench of cigarettes hit my face.

Coughing, I stepped inside to see the man snoring, his boots on my papers and desk. I looked around to see unwashed cups and dishes in the sink and dirty towels on the floor. I didn't want to see the bathroom. Empty beer cans rolled around on the small coffee table.

It reminded me of Gabe.

Holding my breath, I stepped in and collected all the trash and put it in the trashcan. I put the towels in a basket and started washing the dishes.

"What are you doing?"

I looked back to see the man glaring at me with his blue eyes. I turned the faucet off.
"Cleaning."
"This is my office."
"Smoking is prohibited here."
"Get out!"
"Should I do the patrols for you?"
He glanced at me suspiciously. "Why?"
"Tired of sitting around."
"Whatever."
I left the dishes and walked out of the room.

~

"You were all late."

Every soldier was holding their heads down.
"We- we thought that the new Commander wouldn't come..."
"Isn't it your duty to come?" I scowled. "How long did you not do patrols?"
"... A-about two weeks sir."
"So. You thought that it was okay not to patrol the borders?"
"We-"
"Lead the Alpha team around the left side of the city." I said coldly to the eldest soldier. "I'll take the Beta team."

Leading the Beta team around the borders, I saw that there were many holes. It took a lot of energy fixing the holes, and so soldiers patroled everyday. But two weeks...
My chest throbbed. I felt like it wasn't right to help him. Two weeks passed since he had come to power and everything was going wrong. The holes let in a deadly gas- from the planet that we lived in. The news had said there were 22 deaths already.

And Chaos wasn't doing anything.

I placed my hand on a hole and it mended itself. I just wanted to rest now- I had used a lot of power in a short period of time. I saw the end of the wall to my relief and saw the Alpha team waiting.
"There were many holes. We fixed all of them."
I sighed. "Good job. Make sure to patrol everyday."
He nodded and I left the two teams to him. I barely limped around now, but I couldn't run.

"Hey. You."

The new Commander gestured me to come. I walked over to him and he shoved me a stack of papers.
"Do this till dinner."
I flipped through the papers. I looked up at him. This would take atleast a few hours. Right now, the thing I least wanted to do was papers.

"Alright."

I took them to my room and set them on my desk, holding up a pen.

Papers.

~

"Why are you bringing this?"

"The Commander asked me to do this."

Chaos took off his glasses and rubbed his face.
"Perseus."
I flinched at my full name. "Yes?"
"Do not help him. Ever."
"But-"
"I heard it was you who did the patrols today."
"People are dying."
"It's an order Omega. Rest."
"How can I? He's not doing anything right."
"Exactly. We're showing everybody that being a Commander is hard work."

"I don't need it."

"Omega-"

"Why can't you read minds? I don't need any of your help. I don't need them to aknowedge me."

"I'm going to die either way. It doesn't matter."

only 553 words and a time skip...

I'm sorry.... T.T
not feeling very creative.