Chapter 56

Victor's POV

I knew it was poison.

The swollen green lump on his neck was pretty obvious.

And it was pretty obvious it was Tartarus.

The poison wouldn't kill. It was designed specifically to cause pain- and the effects would go away after a day or two.
Well, It could kill if the victim's body was weak enough. But Tartarus was keeping him alive, so.. No worries.

But he had to speak in public.

He couldn't.

One of the effects was the throat swelling till it ripped and bled.

Meaning- it would be pretty painful to talk

I knew it was Tartarus trying to stop him from speaking. And I hated the fact that there was no cure- even the golden apple wouldn't work immediantly.
"... Victor."

I scowled. "Don't talk."

He rubbed his throat. I sighed and handed him my clipboard and he wrote carefully with the pen.

I need to go at 3.

"Are you crazy!" I hissed. "I barely lowered your fever and you're telling me you have to go out?!"

He grabbed the newspaper and showed me the front page. I sighed, frustrated.

"It doesn't matter what they say!"

"I can talk." he croaked.

I covered my face for a count of three.

"Please."

He clenched his fists tight.

"It... It doesn't hurt much to talk."

I grabbed his shoulders.
"Don't lie to me." I hissed. "Don't say anything."

"I'm not going to stop talking till you say I can go."

"Percy-"

"Victor."

I stared at him. He stared at me. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to bury myself in a hole and die.
I sighed and rubbed my face.

"Fine. But don't say a word till you go, and please- just rest."

He nodded and leaned back. I glared at him, but his eyes were already closed. I scowled and went out of his room, slamming the door behind me.

~

Percy's POV

Honestly, I wanted to hide.

I wanted to rest, I wanted to go to camp, and I wanted to see Annabeth.

I stared at the ceiling, trying to push the painful throbbing into the background. I swallowed hard, only to cause more pain.

Water.

I moved my sore body to the pitcher and poured myself a glass of water. I gulped it down but I spluttered, spitting it out. I could barely swallow it. I rubbed my temples.