Chapter 96

Percy's POV

I was glad as we stepped into our hotel room.

I was tired from the long journey by car, and my head rung like a gong. Maybe it was because of dinner. I was pretty sure I didn't eat much though.

Annabeth flopped on her bed. I sat down and propped her up and massaged her shoulders and she leaned on me, smiling.

"I'm so glad I have a boyfriend like you."

"I'm so glad I have a girlfriend like you."

She sighed and let all the strength fall out of her limbs.

"You're driving tommorow."

"... I'm sorry."

"Why?"

I shook my head. "I'll drive tommorow."

She streched and sat up. "I'll use the bathroom first."

She grabbed her clothes and went into the bathroom. I felt my neck carefully. I winced as my fingers brushed across it. My wrists were the same. My chest felt like it had been tied with ropes so tight my heart would burst. I covered my face with my hands. How would I sleep tonight? What would I tell Victor? My head hurt. Everywhere did. I hoped I felt better the next day. My stomach had knotted up after dinner. It probably didn't like the sandwitch I shared with Annabeth. I looked up as the bathroom door opened. I went up to her and kissed her on the forehead.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I smiled. "Go to bed."

She stared at me for a moment, then kissed me on the cheek. "You too."

I watched her crawl under the covers. I grabbed my own clothes and stepped into the bathroom. I washed my face repetitively, trying to get the water to wake me up.

Nothing.

Bile rose up in my throat and my throat convulsed and I found myself retching over the toilet. My stomach felt like it had been streched like a rubber band and snapped back only to get twisted back up again. But the oily feeling in my throat didn't go away. I coughed and retched as my whole body tried desperately to get whatever was inside me. Something slimy came up my throat and I spat it out immediantly. I heard a hiss and a sizzle, and I looked up to see a wisp of black smoke.

Smoke.

A wave of pain made me retch into toilet.

Red.

My vision blurred. I was pretty sure it was blood. I flushed the toliet and wrapped my arms around my stomach, groaning in pain. It hurt way to much.

I shouldn't of came.

I doubled over, my fingers grasping the sink trying not to bang my head on the floor. I gasped for breath as my neck pulsed and my heart throbbed, paralylizing my lungs. The painkiller. Yes. I stumbled out of the bathroom and fell to my knees in front of my bag and injected the painkiller into my arm. I fell foward on top of my bag and bit into my arm hard.