Chapter 8

Percy's POV

Unfortunately, I was still alive the next day.

I sat up and regretted it immediantly. I groaned and hauled myself to the bathroom. I wished I had just died last night. I wouldn't have to worry about bandages. Maybe it was because Victor, I always had too many bandages. I sighed. I guess I had to get bandages. I needed to move tonight. Monsters got closer everynight. Maybe I would go to California. I shook my head. It was too close- too close to the Roman camp and Annabeth. I bit my lip. Just to see the beaches.

Just the beaches.

I looked outside. It was snowing a lot, the streets looked completely white. I stared at the bed. Today was a perfect day to stay at home and snuggle in my bed and sleep all day long. I stared at my arms. I had stopped the blood with towels, but I knew that they would start bleeding again. The rough skin where my wound was brushed against my shirt. I couldn't get stitches. Not the hospital. I bundled up tightly and stepped out into the cold wind. I shivered. It was a very cold day. The person at the counter looked at me suspiciously as I went out. I went to the pharmacy and got a few supplies. My boots sunk into the snow. Annabeth loved snow. Her eyes always sparkled when it snowed. I shook my head. I couldn't think of her now. Clutching my coat closer, I walked faster. My shirt felt wet. Suddenly, I felt dizzy. The world tilted to the side.
I felt myself fall to the cold snow and lost consciousness on the streets.

~

I woke up in a hospital.

And freaked.

I sat up abruptly and took in my surroundings. Why was I here? Maybe someone brought me here. I gritted my teeth. I needed to get out of here. I jumped out of the bed, ignoring my pain. Where were my clothes? I couldn't find my coat either.
"Sir?"
I whipped around to see a nurse. Scrubs.
"You need to rest a bit before leaving."
"I'm sorry, but I have to go."
"Sir-"
"Where's my coat?"
"It's over here."
A man smiled at me brightly, and I reconized him immediantly.

"Apollo."

~

"Percy, you don't stop to sleep in the snow."

I scowled.

"Victor prayed to me for the second time in his life to me! You know, he was my- never mind."
I hugged my legs close to my chest. "You won't tell him anything."
He glanced at me. "Everyone knows about your wings now. And Annabeth."
I fingered the white blankets. "So?"
"Don't you want to be the hero and save her? She's quite distressed."
I glared at him.

"Can't you understand? I'm tired of being the hero. Now I'm just tired of living."

"You shouldn't say that to me. I lived a far longer time than you."
"But you're a god. You- you can protect people better than I do."
He shrugged. "I can't stop my children from dying."
"I can't stop my wife from cutting my wings off."
"Percy. You can't hate Annabeth."
I flinched. "Are you teasing me?"
"No." He looked into my eyes, and his eyes were serious. "I am the god of prophecy. I see your fate. And why you're not dying...." he looked back at his clipboard.

"Why not you ask Tartarus?"

I froze. "What-"
"Oh, I hate him. He's too dark. And scary. And I don't think he likes haikus."
"You aren't-"
"It is a cold day.
You fell asleep in the snow.
You will die soon."
"The last sentence was four syllables."
"Whatever."
"I need to go."
"You can't go anywhere in that state."
"Who says I can't."
"Fred does."
I scowled. "Do you have to-"
"Rest. You can leave tommorow."
"Why?"
"I'll give you supplies if you stay."
"I don't need them." I said, standing up from the bed.
"Why? Don't you need ambrosia?"
"I need to get out of here first." I said, grabbing my coat.
"I reccomend bed rest!" he called out.
I shivered as I went out of the room. I felt colder than usual. The wind blew straight through my clothes and into my bones. I nearly ran back to the hotel and up the stairs, leaving me exhausted.

Needed to go.

My whole body yelled at me to get out of this place, but I couldn't help but fall asleep.

~

I woke up shivering.

So cold....

Cold.

I could imagine myself freezing in the snow. My brain felt like it was made of mud. I couldn't think. All that I knew was that I was freezing cold. I needed to move. My body moved slowly. I managed to pack my stuff with fumbling fingers. I slung my backpack on and checked out.

Cold.

My brain whined for me to go back but I resisted against it. Monsters would come. I hurried past people quickly.
"Hey! Percy?"
No.
No.

Demigods.

I started to run, nearly slipping on the ice. I heard a splat behind me but kept running. I stopped in my steps when I saw a woman about my age in front of me.

Khione.

"Perseus Jackson..." she walked up to me and lifted my chin with two fingers and smiled. "I like it. Very cold."
I didn't hear the demigods anymore.
"Don't worry. I just.... Stuck them in ice."
"Get out of my way."
"Thats rude."
"I am. Why don't you kill me?"
She paused, but started laughing.

"Oh, it was true. The daughter of Athena betrayed you! And...." She held in a laugh. "Your wings! It's so wonderful!"
I scowled. "You have nothing to do with it."
"Well, no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to kill you. Our master is doing a good job keeping you alive." She smiled, and it felt so cold for a moment.
"A shame Percy Jackson. Such a handsome face-" she crooned.
I put a hand on her shoulder and set it on greek fire. She screamed and I took the chance and ran. I felt a cold hand on my shoulder.

"How dare you." she hissed.

A cold, sharp thing imbedded itself in my abdomen. She twisted the dagger, and I held in a scream. She pulled it out harshly.

"Run. Run like a coward Perseus."

So I ran.

~

I rode a train.

I had hastily stuffed bandages around the wound, but I knew the wound was still bleeding. I felt a bit dizzy. Maybe a lot. I couldn't tell. I pulled my scarf higher over my nose and crossed my arms. All I could tell was cold. My head dropped. Maybe I would sleep. Or try to. I was sweating like if it was raining, even though l was cold. I leaned back, but it was still uncomfortable because of my wings. I hunched forward instead and closed my eyes.

California.

I sighed.

California.

~

Annabeth's POV

Everybody hated me.

Nearly everybody.

I just wanted to see Percy again. I hugged my pillow close to myself. Where would he be? Was he hurt? Where was he going? What was he doing? I looked out. On snowy days, we would go out together. It was never cold if he was with me. I hoped he would be okay. The weather was getting colder. I sighed and looked down at this picture.

I hoped he could be smiling.

~

1248 words!