Chapter 69

Victor's POV

My day started out fine.

Before the Chaos soldiers came.

Before everything.

Luke stumbled into camp, with a few troops of soldiers bedraggeled in blood. Reyna was in the midst of that. I went over to her.

"Your not hurt?"

"Only a few scratches." she whispered. I furrowed my eyebrows but stepped away. It wasn't time to show weakness.

"What happened to the citizens?"

Luke glanced down at me. "Tartarus said he wouldn't target citizens. He says he doesn't care about people who can't fight."

"Well thats good to hear."

Percy walked up to him with only a slight limp and Luke bowed slightly to him. Percy aknowledged him slightly, taking in the sign on respect.

"Commander-"

"The Roman Camp is nearly demolished. We weren't able to help them- so many of them were dead by the time we got there. We just teleported the survivers."

He nodded. "Wheres Frank and Hazel?"

"Over here." Frank raised his hand.

He pursed his lips. "Nobody but the citizens in camp?"

Zoe nodded. "Ethan and Nico stayed behind to check for any more survivers."

"It can be dangerous."

"I need to go back." Luke said, even though he looked exhausted.

"No. I can."

"Are you crazy?" I hissed.

"We can send a few of the Hermes cabin." Annabeth suggested.

"But-"

A roar echoed from the hills.

"Tartarus is coming."

~

Annabeth's POV

Candy canes.

There were carrying candy canes.

"Are those-"

"No." Victor cut in. "They are followers of Circe."

"I didn't see candy canes on her island."

"They are wooden canes. They cast magic."

"... Really small wooden red and white striped canes."

he scowled. "Whatever."

Apparently the candy worked. Some spells made campers wander aimlessly for a few moments. Few made them faint at the spot.

"Better avoid those." Percy said.

I parried a blade and stabbed the monster in the gut. "You okay?"

"I can bear it."

A flash and a rumble echoed around the hill and incinerated a group of monsters. The sky turned gray as Jason concentrated, making a storm. A drizzle came down from the sky. The weird thing was, even in the Chaos of the battle, I could not see any dead bodies. And all the monsters seemed to be pushing towards Percy and I.

We had our backs pressing onto each other for saftey and comfort. It reminded me of the old days.

When he cared.

"They're after you."

I gritted my teeth. "I can take care of that."

I slashed furiously through another monster. I saw an ogre punch a camper and he flew back to a ruined cabin. The monsters pressed closer, and a sword slashed through my arm. I yelped in pain and suddenly, I was behind the wall of a cabin.

"Are you okay?"

Percy's green eyes frantically searched for other injuries.

Like he cared.

I snatched my arms away. "You shouldn't of done that."

He sighed. "Annabeth, stay out of the fight. If we kill them quickly enough, they won't find you."

"You don't care though."

He stared at me, boring holes through my eyes.

"Please Annabeth."

"Come on- this is my camp too. I need to protect it."

Something was wrong.

I wasn't dreaming.

Yes, I was pretty sure I wasn't dreaming.
Yet I was in the cliche scene when the boy kissed the girl in the pouring rain pressing her to the wall to shut her up.

He gasped for breath, grabbed my face with both of his hands. Gods- he looked so damn sexy with his hair wet.

"Please- I really care. Just stay hidden, go to the infirmary."

"I can't loose you too."

I swallowed hard. "Percy-"

He kissed me shortly on the lips again, and it took me a few moments after he had ran off to get it through my head.
I ran a checklist.

Not drunk?

Yup.

Kissing?

Yup.

Genuine?

I guess so.

My cheeks burned, and I felt like a 16 year old again, after our underwater kiss.

But the battle wasn't over yet.

I sighed.

I will never, ever, make things easy for you Seaweed Brain. Get used to it.

"I'm sorry."

I pushed on my cap and charged back into the battle.

~