Chapter 72

Percy's POV

I remebered when the other doctors had asked me to say how much in hurt in numbers, 1 to 10.

10.

All I could say was ten. It hurt so much- so so much, but they didn't seem to understand.

10.

10.

Now I wondered if there was an 11.

I thought I had felt enough pain to know which hurt the most. Now it felt like everything was collasping down on me- everything.

They were calling for me.

Come here.

His voice was clear.

"Too bad they got rid of me. But you won't."

Something odd. A very odd feeling wrapped around me, cooling my skin down rapidly. The air turned almost slimy. I was choking on the air.

"You'll die. You'll have time to enjoy your pain, but your precious camp will lose the biggest thing."

"Their leader."

~

Victor's POV

Percy was trying to be an optimist.

It wasn't working.

Everyone was down. We were all lolling in the last room of the infirmary which hadn't burned down. We couldn't proceed with surgery because the small building had burned down. Percy was trying to talk to us. Personally, I felt really worried about Percy. He looked worse- his lips were blue and he was pale. He reminded me of a corpse. I knew he wasn't fine. I felt a little bad for him. But I realized Annabeth was sitting next to him, holding his hand.

Percy's hand was content enough.

Frank was reading a book with Hazel curled up in a ball, sleeping. Jason had lolled out on the sofa with his head thrown back. Piper was on her back, with her head on his lap. Nico had died also, sleeping on the wooden chair next to the bed. Percy had given up and he had also relaxed. Annabeth and I were the only ones wide awake. I could hear the sounds of the cabins being built up again.

A new start.

I looked around at everyone in the room. I hoped they would think the same, that we were starting over. I sighed.

What would become of Tartarus?

I shook my head. Not now. I relaxed in the sofa like the others and closed my eyes.

~

Annabeth's POV

I stayed in the infimary, waiting for Percy.

It was getting late, and I was getting worried. It was about 11 when he came in. He locked the door behind himself. I stood up abruptly, and helped him take off his coat. I hung the coat on a peg as he unwrapped his muffler. He set a paper down and pulled off his gloves.