Chapter 101

Jason's POV

I have never seen anything like this.

Everyone was crying. Everyone.

I watched his shroud go up in flames with bleary eyes. I couldn't believe he died all alone, in the dark. Victor was still crying his eyes out. Annabeth's eyes were dark and haunted, looking at Percy's shroud going up in flames. The burning blue satin smelled of the sea. Maybe some magic of the fates.

All the Olympians were here with Chaos. Even Ares had his head bowed to the burning pile of wood. All the gods were in black, simple clothes- even Aphrodite. Posiedon's eyes were red. Athena and Apollo were comforting Annabeth and Victor. Apollo wasn't having much luck though. Hera had her hands put together as if she was praying. Zeus stared at the burning wood with blank eyes as if he didn't know how to feel. Demeter was with Hera, her arm around her shoulders. Hermes was with Luke, holding hands. Artemis was in her older form, her luminous eyes following the smoke that was now dissapearing into the thin morning air.

Percy was dead.

I looked down, hiding my tears. Piper grabbed my hand. I knew I couldn't take on this huge responsibility of camp. It was impossible. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Chaos.

His face wams hard and determined.

"Don't worry."

I didn't know what he meant, but I took it in as a effort to comfort me. I looked back down at the ground.

I didn't have the right to look at his shroud.

~

The 5 days were blank and blearly.

Nobody really tried to do anything. Many of the older kids didn't eat. Nico had locked himself up, only letting Bianca and Hazel in the cabin. After a few days, usual camp activities were going on, but camp seemed so dull and dead. Maybe because of the dreary sky and beach. I stared at the strawberry fields, worrying about the money we would need. How did Percy do this? Luke was at Chaos planet and there had been one IM saying he was busy. He also had sent pictures of all the citizens grieving for Percy.

"Hey."

Leo plopped on the chair in front of me. The dark circles under his eyes were more prominent. He smiled wearily.

"How's everything going?"

"Horrible."

He tinkered with a few gears and metal pieces.

"I guess thats the same for everybody."

I sighed and leaned back. "I wonder how Percy did this."

"... I wonder why Percy had to die."

"It's the way of life, I guess."

"I hate the way of life."

We were silent for a while. Then, Hazel came running.

"Nico- he wants you to come."

~

Nico was pouring coke into a pit.

There were a few happy meals next to him. Nico looked a bit scary with his sleepless eyes and pale complexion. There was the rest of the seven and even Luke.

"... Why do you need so much food?"

"He's a strong spirit. He needs a lot."

"I admit he eats like a satyr."

Nico scowled but didn't say anything. After picking out the toys in the happy meal, he dumped it all in the coke. He mumbled something in an odd language, and the air seemed to get colder. Ghosts appeared around the pit. Nico held out his sword, and Annabeth did the same with her knife, keeping spirits away. It was the same after a while, and Nico was getting impatient. Then, all the spirits dissapeared. Hades appeared over the coke, making it evaporate. His fiery eyes scanned all of us.