Chapter 92

Victor's POV

I gave the painkiller to him before he woke.

He seemed to relax after it. I glanced at Annabeth sleeping beside him. My heart throbbed at the thought of tearing them apart.

We had decided to not put him to sleep. If Percy didn't want it, it was a no no. The counselors visited him and he talked, smiled, and laughed till I was worried. When he was alone, I could see him drowning, drowning in his pain. I could see him trying desperately not to scream and it just tore me apart. I knew he couldn't get his sleep at night. I knew he needed the painkillers just to sit upright. I knew that he wanted to stop all of this.

He was curled up in a ball, now a little less tensed up. I wondered if I should wake him. I shook my head. Sleeping was his only escape of pain. I shook Annabeth lightly and she woke up. I glanced at Percy and she got the message. She slipped out of the room with her coat and I was left alone with Percy. I took Annabeth's spot. I needed to see him as much as I could. I wanted to remember every little thing about him- even how he drooled when he was sleeping. I smiled. I remebered when I first realized he drooled in his sleep. I was disgusted. I sighed.

The way his hair fell in his face. The way he laughed. The way his hair stood on end when he ran his fingers through his hair. The way he whined when he wanted something. And his eyes- when they were angry, sad, happy- the way the changed. I had to remember everything. His eyes opened and I jerked back. He barely aknowledged me and curled up into a tighter ball. I stoodup. I had given him the painkiller 30 minutes before.

"I'm alright Victor."

I sat back down slowly. He streched and sat up.

"Just feeling a little down."

I frowned. Could I do something?

"Can you smile?"

"What?"

"You know, one of those Apollo smiles."

I nearly scowled at the mentioning of Apollo. I sighed.

"You'll feel better?"

He nodded convincingly.

I tried to smile, and it seemed to be enough. He smiled crookedly, and I smiled even wider at his smile. He cocked his head.

"Why don't you smile?"

"Cause."

"You should smile more often."

I snorted. "Why?"

"Apollo kids have that aura around them when they smile. The good feeling stuff."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah. Will's happy all the time."

I smiled and ruffled his hair. "Alright. I'll try."

He leaned back. "What time is it?"

"8 am."

He nodded slowly.

"What do you think about breakfast?"