Chapter 20

Annabeth's POV

"Annabeth!"

I whipped around to see Malcom running towards me. He took a long, shuddering breath.
"The roman camp is under attack."
My eyes widened. "How?"
"Flying pigs. And monsters. Thousands of them."
I growled and stomped my foot. "Tartarus had to attack now!"
Malcom shook his head. "We need to send reinforcements."
"Who? Our camp could be under attack soon too."
"But-"
"Send the hunters."
He nodded and ran off, and I leaned back, sitting down in my chair.

Tartarus.

I shook my head and closed my eyes.

I hoped he wouldn't attack our camp.

~

Frank's POV

Apparently, being a heavily armed bowling ball didn't help much sometimes.

The monsters kept pouring in. The reinforcements from our greek counterpart didn't come. I cursed and cut off a head of a cyclops. The soldiers behind shot flaming arrows, killing many but not enough. We were being pushed back to the city. I clenched my teeth and turned into a dragon and blew fire over a group of monsters, incinerating them. A jar of greek fire exploded on my shoulder and I lost control and turned into a person with a bad burn. Hazel rode beside me on Arion and grabbed me and hauled me up. I scrambled on top of his rump and Hazel rode through the monsters, slashing through the mob with her sword.
"Hazel, let me down."
"I'll let you down." she agreed. "At the infirmary."
"We need as many people as possible. It-"
Something bright exploded behind us, and Arion reared, throwing both of us off. I blinked at the bright light.

Another monster?

No. When the light died down, I saw that half of the monsters were incinerated.
A person- a person with wings. Black wings that were cut off. He shook his hood off to reveal black scruffy hair that had a pure white streak going through it. Everyone was silent and he glanced back at both of us.
"P- Percy?" Hazel stuttered.
He shrugged and drew his sword.
"Get Frank to the infirmary."
The monsters again charged forward, but with less enthusiasm this time. As Hazel helped me to the infirmary, I stared in awe at Percy.

A demon.

He fought like one, slashing through whole lines of monsters. Many soldiers hung on to the pig, and I knew it was weakened by now.

Hazel gripped my arm and I turned around and smiled at her. Her eyes glinted.

We were winning.

~

"Percy! Percy?"

I scanned the crowd of wounded soldiers and citizens for Percy. Wings, wings, wings, wi-

"What."

I jumped a few feet into the air.

He was pressing a piece of cloth to his arm. His wound bled right through it, but he didn't seem to mind. He stared at me blankly.
"Where were you?!"
"America." he took the cloth away and poured nectar on it, and it stopped bleeding.
"Why didn't you come to camp?"
He scowled. "I'm not here to answer your questions Zhang."
I looked down. "Percy-"
"I came here because Tartarus warned that there would be an attack."
I frowned. "Why would he warn you?"

"Cause he's crazy."

He tried to shrug it off, but I knew there was something to it.
"Stay for the night."
He shook his head. "Tartarus can track me down faster than you can eat a cookie."
"Uh-"
"A blue one."
"But-"
"I'll see you soon. But I need to go."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "How can I trust you?"
He huffed. "You can't trust me now?"
I scanned him skeptically. "Promise."
"I'll have to anyway. I have no choice."
Hazel grabbed his hand. "Promise."
He sighed.

"Promise."

"Why not you atleast go to the infirmary-"
"Bye."

He dissapeared into a cloud of mist, without another word. Reyna came running then, with a cup of hot chocolate. Her black eyes froze at the spot where Percy was. She looked down at the hot chocolate.
"He's gone."
I nodded and Hazel put an arm around her and we went on our way to the greek camp.

~

Annabeth's POV

"You won. Without any help."

Frank nodded, but I felt skeptical about it. I couldn't tell about Reyna. I wasn't sure about Hazel. But when I saw Frank's face, I knew that he was lying.
Hazel stood up hastily, grabbing Frank's arm, letting loose a string of excuses. Reyna followed without many words. I glanced at Jason. He met my eyes.

There was something to the attack.

Piper leaned her chin on her hand.
"What should we do?"
Leo shook his head. "We'll find out someday."
Jason sighed and linked his hands together. "Council ajourned?"

We all stood up, going out in a messy line. I walked to my cabin, and I felt eyes. I looked around carefully, but saw no one looking at me. I rubbed my arms. I was getting old. I rushed to my cabin trying to avoid the cold. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me. I sighed and stared at the cube like thing that Leo had given me. I grabbed it and jumped into my bed, flipping it a few times. My mind focused on the numbers- only the numbers. Just numbers. I flipped it a few times, fitting it into the way I set a normal cube.
"Annabeth?"
I crawled out of my warm bed, not enjoying the cold air. I saw my younger sister, Hope pointing at the door.

"I think you should go out and see."

~

I stared at the letters etched in the ground.

GET READY FOR AN ATTACK TOMMOROW

~TARTARUS

"He's really kind. Warning us about all his attacks." Leo said.
I scowled. "Tell Will to make sure theres enough ambrosia and nectar." I looked up at Clarissie. "You can sort out the campers."
She nodded and ran down the hill, and Leo looked down at the letters again.
"Why do you think he's telling us his plans?"
I furrowed my eyebrows. "I don't know. He would kill us all easily with an ambush with his whole army."
"He only leaves a few deaths and casualities."
A cold feeling settled down in my stomach.

"What if destroying us is not his plans?"

He frowned. "Who doesn't want to destroy us?"

"Leo, think-"

"Sorry, can't think."

"Then listen. If he keeps on attacking like this, what would happen?"
"Parts of his army would be demolished. And we would have a tiny bit less amount of campers."

"If he keeps on attacking like that, destroying a cabin or two repeatedly, killing campers, we would be slowly razed to the Earth. Not demolished in a few hours."

"Bad." he agreed.

I sighed and rubbed my face.
"I wish we had...."
My voice faltered. Leo looked down.
"Percy?"
I dragged my boot in the snow, making a line. "He could figure out everything."
"He'll come back. He can't live without camp."
"He lived for a year without camp."
Leo forced a smile. "It'll be okay."
I heaved a sigh.

"Okay."