Chapter 73

Percy's POV

The pain didn't go away after the painkillers.

Pain that wasn't killed by painkillers.

I sat on my bed, my face in my hands. I wished that it wasn't now.

"Percy, maybe you shouldn't go."

My head shot up. "No! It's Ethan's shroud!"

He stared at me with worried eyes. "Percy. You should just rest. If you overexert yourself-"

"No- Ethan was killed because of me. He respected me." I swallowed. "I have to go."

He sighed. "Come on then." he handed me my coat. "Tell me if you feel uncomfortable."

I stood up quickly and grabbed my coat. I blinked twice and hastily followed Victor out. He walked briskly, but it didn't take long to catch up. The cold air was clean and sharp. I could see the smoke rising up from the shrouds. We walked a bit faster.

"Percy."

Annabeth's eyes glinted bright in the dark, sorrowful and sad.
She linked her arm into mine.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded and pecked her on the forehead.

"I'm fine Annie."

She frowned but didn't say anything. We slipped into the crowd quietly, and I could hear Chiron talking. The knot tightened in my chest, and I finally felt that Tartarus could actually kill me.

"Do you need to sit down?"

I held Annabeth close to me, slightly leaning on her.

"Listen to Chiron." I half teased.

She glanced up at me slightly then looked back foward. I tried to concentrate on what Chiron was saying. I was feeling a bit dizzy. Maybe because of the smoke.

"Whoah." she whispered. "Steady."

I took a step back, squeezing myself into the crowd. Annabeth snuggled next to me. I was glad of her warmth. Soon after, the pain eased.

I hugged Annabeth close as Ethan's shroud burned again- ths second time. I remembered when he was so angry. He had thought that revenge was the only thing left.

An eye for an eye.

He didn't realize we would all go blind.

I sent a silent thank you to Chaos for giving him another chance. For giving me a loyal soldier. I looked down.

My fault.

I could hear Ethan saying- telling me that I was an idiot. I wished I wouldn't hurt anymore. Then I could protect everyone.

What would Ethan think of suicide?

It was cowardly.

What would he say?

I knew. No matter how much he respected my choice, he would never agree to suicide. I let out a long sigh as the smoke from his black shroud rose up in the air, going straight up without a word, just like Ethan had followed me.