Chapter 71

Percy's POV

Tartarus dragged Piper next to Ethan's beheaded body.

Her head hung limply, lolling to the side. Jason was struggling against his bonds as I watched everything fall apart.

"You cannot guess how much I have been anticipating this moment." he said, looking over a set of knifes.

"I personally wanted to trap her inside a room full of raw meat- but it would be more painful for you to actually see." he explained.
"Hmm...."

He flipped his knife, licking his lips. He ripped her shirt right at her breast, showing her bra.

"Isn't she beautiful?"

Jason's bonds strained. His furious eyes were ready to kill.

I was frozen.

"Maybe I'll keep her alive..." he purred.

"Wait."

I wasn't trying to be heroic. I was trying not to go vertigo. Everything had just hit me hard. I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. I was lethargically moving in pain and confusion.

I swallowed. "Let them go."

"No!" he cried, horrified. "This is the most interesting part! I read it!"

"It's cliche." Piper managed.

"No! It can't be!"

"This is a horrible story." Piper tried to convince. "It would be much better to let us go."

"You- you can't charmspeak a primodial!"

"You won't get enough votes."

"No!"

"Not enough comments."

"And," she paused dramatically. "People will stop following you."

"No! I need followers!"

"Exactly. So-"

"But I was always curious how people would react to your death."

Piper went rigid. A small gasp escaped her lips. She fell unconscious again.

"She was kinda annoying. Now, who's next?"

~

I was supposed to save them.

I was supposed to protect them.

"Perseus."

Tartarus was serious.

"Choose." he held out his hand. "You can choose to join my side. Or kill your friends."

My heart pounded, sending ringing echoes up my spine to my head. I couldn't concentrate.

"I-"