Chapter 36

Jason's POV

I walked into the Big House with Piper to see the soldiers staring into a screen.

I set the papers down. "What are you looking at?"
"The competition." Zoe said, not taking her eyes off the screen.
Piper looked at the big arena.
"Lets watch."
Ethan looked at us. "... You sure?"
"I'll get the others." Piper said. "We can see Percy."
"Then get them quickly. It's about to start."
"This is live?"
Luke nodded.
Piper ran out the big house and I saw the cameras zoom in to a soldier.
"Whose that?"
"Commander's opponent."
"What do they do?"
"... They fight." Ethan said.
The camera finally zoomed into Percy, who was talking to Victor. His shirt, which was sleeveless showed his faint scars overlapping each other.
"We can't hear anything?"
"Yeah. Until now, we're just watching. We're not suppose to hear what they are saying anyway."
The camera also turned to Chaos, who was staring down at the arena, sipping a drink. Piper, Hazel, Frank, and Leo came in. They sat down and a person interviewed him.
"Who do you think will win?"
He smiled. "Is that a question?"
"Do you think it will end quickly?"
"It depends."
The person moved away and we heard the cheering. The two stood in front of each other and shook hands. I could see the umpire seperate them from a slight distance. Riptide glinted dangerously in the light.

Wait.

"Are they-"

I saw the umpire set the time as the match started.

Percy charged foward, and the soldier barely avoided it. He pressed his hands to his stomach, which was now bleeding profusely. I felt sick. Was he literally going to...

Kill him?

A rope, made out of water tightened around the soldier's neck, making a noose. Percy clenched his fist and he choked as it tightened around his neck. When he got close enough, Percy beheaded him and hid head rolled off and his body fell limply to the ground.
"2 minutes and 18 seconds." Zoe said.
"He's doing it again." Luke agreed.
I stared at the screen in horror. "He just.... Killed him?"
Ethan looked back. "Yes. And he's going to kill the rest. Every one of them."
"You have to?" Leo asked incredulously.
"No." Zoe said. "You just have to win."
".. Then why?"
"Its the best to kill. When you become Commander, it's like being a king. The soldiers can rebel, and throw you off. If you show that you can kill each and one of them like bugs...."
"You can be sure to keep everyone under you." Luke finished.
"Did anybody do this before?" Frank asked.
Ethan shook his head grimly. "No. Never. And matches usually take an hour or so."

"He always did it like this."

"Killing every soldier in a few minutes."

"He nearly killed me. I was the only one to live when he did it at first." Luke agreed.

"Oh...."

Zoe glanced back at all of us, who were all horrified.

"He's having a pretty hard time too. You know his personality."

"But... Can't he step down or such?"

"Think." Ethan snarled. "He's doing it for us."

"More for Annabeth." Luke said.

"How can that be for Annabeth?"

"If he wasn't Commander, he wouldn't of been able to come to Earth in the first place. He wouldn't be able to talk to us. And now, he wouldn't be able to come to Earth, even if he won because everything would be unorganized." Luke sighed.

"I still can't understand why he has to though. I would kill myself if I had that personality."

~

Percy's POV

I always regretted my choice.

I spent hours in my room, pacing around. I could still remember the fear in his eyes. What If I had never killed him?
"Percy."
Victor stood outside the door.
"It's not your fault."
I

stared at him. "I can't believe it I have to do it again."
"Annabeth's waiting."
I straightened and walked slowly next to him.
"Why did you bring her?"
"Admit it."

You like it.

I smiled slightly.

I like it.

He hid a smile with a scowl and walked off. I walked quickly to catch up with him.
"You did a good job."
I sighed. "Gods help me."
Victor glanced at me. "Just don't get hurt. Go to sleep early, and don't over exert yourself."
I nodded as we entered the mess hall. I saw Annabeth sitting next to my seat. Victor sat in his, which was the other seat next to mine. I awkwardly sat between them and Annabeth smiled at me slightly. I looked down at my pizza.

How was I supposed to feel?

I wasn't sure.

All I knew that it didn't feel that bad.

~

It hurts.

He did it.

He did it again.

It hurts.

It's getting smaller.

I can't move now.

It's crushing me.

Help.

Help.

HELP

falling.

I woke up gasping, clutching my chest.

Calm down.

I took a shuddery breath and rubbed my arms. I started coughing, and I felt vey thirsty. I lumbered to my table and poured myself a glass of water. My mind was numbed. My head felt like it was splitting into half and I was feeling a bit feverish. I clasped my hands together to feel that they were freezing cold.

Medicine... Where's the medcine...

I searched about the bathroom cupboards, looking for aspirin. I pushed a bandage a little to far and everything went tumbling down the sink. One bottle went into the toilet. I sighed and used the water to pick itself out of the toilet and into the sink. I stooped down and found myself on the floor. Feeling dizzy, I let myself sit down for just a moment. I curled up in a ball, suddenly too tired and dizzy to clean everything up. My eyelids got heavy.

Sleep.

I was pretty sure this was a curse.

A curse from the boy I had killed today.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled.

My eyes closed, finally bringing me peace.