Preparation

The next day Adam apologized to me and told me that he preferred we don't speak anymore, for he had develope feelings towards me which I could not return. I didn't argue, I guess he somehow saw that I had feelings for someone else. I agreed and we never spoke again. After all, wolf chases what does not willingly go.
   To make things worse, a week later I received a package with my dress and realized I didn't have a date. I walked to the tower where the owls were and on my way I met Cho Chang on the steps. We greeted each other and continued on our ways.
  I gave the letter to my owl and she flew away. I watched how she slowly disappeared and I exhaled loudly.
"Paige? Is that you?" I heard a familiar voice. Turning around I saw Harry standing behind me.
"Hello, Harry. I didn't see you here."
   We stared awkwardly at each other and when he cut the silence with the question was I okay, I broke down and shocked him with the fountain of tears streaming down my face. I started apologizing for the words I said, as if he was Fred, and he just listened until I was done.
"Have you thought about telling him everything you just said to me?"
"No, are you mad? Why would I?"
"Because he confessed he had feelings for you too?" I gave him a surprised look and he added. "I was there when you two got in a fight."
I looked ashamed at the ground imagining how I everything must have seem from aside.
"I don't think it matters anymore..."
"You won't lose anything if you try."
"I am not a Griffindor, Harry... I can't be brave." I doubt I will ever gather the strength to even look at him again, then what about speaking.
"Yes, you can. If you really want something you fight for it, just like Fred did for more than a year." He saw my puzzled look and grunted in disbelieve. "I guess he was right, by saying you were too blind to see for how long he has been trying to win you..."
"Thank you, you are helping me feel better, Potter!" My comment made him laugh and we both walked back into the school.
   We got in the Great Hall together, since it was dinner time, but took our separate ways to the tables. I sat between my house mates, but their conversation wasn't interesting, so I just ate quietly my food and thought of what Harry said.
  Soon the prom day came and girls were running around the common room with make ups or hair irons. I just sat on one of the sofas and watched them panic that they will be late for their dates and stuff.
"Don't you have a dress, Paige?" I heard a soft voice coming from the person who sat next to me. Looking to my right sat Cho with a shy smile on her face.
"I do, I just don't need to hurry, no one is waiting for me."
"Cho, come and help me with my hair, please?" One of her roommates called from upstairs and she excused herself before going to her.
  Around an hour most of them were ready and telling one another how beautiful they were. My attention was dragged towards the main door when Cho walked inside with Hermione. She shook her head when she saw me and walked towards me only to drag me upstairs to get ready.
"You better get ready fast, because I don't want to be late!" She pulled the dress out the box it came with and threw it at me.
   The whole time she was adjusting me she didn't stop lecturing me how silly I was for not wanting to go at the Yule Ball because of some guy and stuff. And when I was finally ready she looked at me with a smile and took my hand in hers.
   On our way I felt sick in my stomach from nerves and told her to go because she was late enough because of me. I pulled the white gloves, not that they needed any adjusting, I just didn't feel ready to go. And then Harry's words rang in my head.
"Be brave, Paige!" I exhaled and slowly took the steps to the Great Hall.