Giving up

The next day I felt like a bird locked in a cage. I feared to go outside the room and face Angelina or Fred, George on the other hand tried to talk with me the whole morning, but I just pushed him aside. I didn't need anyone to comfort me or tell me kind words. I needed a reason not to walk away from Fred, because if he couldn't trust me and was getting jealous of everyone I didn't need him in my life. I heard voices from outside and peeked from the window to see the four of them getting ready to play quidditch. Ginny went with Molly to the village near the house and Arthur was at work whit Percy, who I could barely see.

  I watched them play and it all seemed normal until I saw something that burned me on the inside.

  Fred was teasing Angelina, holding the quaffle up with a huge smile looking at Angelina as her hand was reaching for it. Their chests were touching and the smiles and looks they gave each other repulsed me. It wasn't a serious game, it was pure flirting. She reached even more and their noses almost touches, I knew what was about to follow.

"Confundo." I whispered and Angelina's broom moved aside. She looked puzzled by what happened with her broom, while Fred knew very well what was the reason behind it and looked directly at the window.

  I tried to hide behind the wall, but it was too late... he saw me. It didn't take long for him to rush inside the room.

"What the bloody hell was that, Daniels?!" He shouted as he stepped in front of me.

"I don't think that's part of your practice?" I simply answered, not hiding that I was annoyed by what he did.

"You could've hurt her!"

"I just confused her broom!" We started shouting again, like a married couple who couldn't stand the sight of each other.

"What is wrong with you, we were just playing!"

"You were flirting! Not playing!"

"It was a friendly tease, Paige!" He was waving furiously his hands in the air, while I was with a pressed back to the wall.

"It didn't seem like that to me."

"Unlike you, Daniels, if I plan on hitting up on you I am doing it in a way for you to see it, not like you and Digg-." I didn't let him finish, I had enough. My palm rudely slapped him across the face, leaving a red mark.

I was biting furiously my bottom lip, fighting back the tears. I never thought he will go this far. He placed his hand on the spot I slapped him and gave me a shocked look.

"And I thought you were worth my nerves..." I whispered with a bold voice, trying to seem as strong as I could.

"Paige...?" Hearing these words seemed to scare him. "What do you mean?"

"It means..." I took a sharp breath. "It means..." My chest was moving up and down furiously as I was gathering the strength to make the decision. "I'm going back home..."

"You can't leave." He laughed out thinking I was joking.

"Yes, I can." I pulled out my wand and with a simple flick all my belonging were packed up.

"What does that mean?" He pointed at the luggage, with trembling hand.

"Means I am leaving you hitting on me, without me watching..." I said with a fake smile mocking his words.

"Come on, Paige. Don't do this, you know it wasn't anything serious."

"You are right, Fred... seem like we weren't anything serious for you. I am tired of constantly fighting for your trust, attention and feelings. I never gave you a reason to not believe me and it hurts to live in fear that saying hello to someone will cause me trouble in the relationship." I rubbed my eyes and looked at him again. "I am sorry, but if she is what you wish I won't stop you from being with her. She's brave, plays quidditch and gets your attention... I give up. So will you please step aside and let me go?" Saying these words felt like removing a stone off my chest.

Without another word he moved aside and I walked downstairs to see George walking in the house. He looked at my luggage, then at me and then back at my luggage.

"You're leaving?" I sniffed while nodding and he came to me, pulling me in a hug, which didn't comfort me at all.

"George... can you apparite with me to my house, please..." I wiped the tears away with my sleeve.

He took my hand in his and as everything stated to spin aground I heard Fred calling out my name one last time, before I appeared in my room.

"Thank you, George." I said looking everywhere but at him.

"Are you alright? What happened?"

"It's nothing, I'll be fine." All I wanted was to be alone now, but instead of that I was pulled for another hug. I couldn't take it anymore and broke into loud cries, my parents were at works so I could actually allow myself to do it.

  George sat with me on my bed, never letting go off me. We didn't speak, after all it was his brother that I was crying about. He knew very well what happened, but I guess he was aware of what I was going thru. While he was holding me tight, I made myself a promise. Never to chase after people anymore. If they liked spending time with me they would do so, and if not I would be content with my own company. I don't know when I fell asleep, but I was grateful to George for laying me down and covering me with the sheet, before returning to the Burrow.