Chapter 20 : How Hurt

After the game I decided it was time to go home and face the fear of seeing Corey everyday

"Thank you." I say to Mariana and Kiké as they drop me off at home. "Your welcome." Mariana says. "Any time." She adds before taking off.

I walk into the house and see the boys on the couch eating pizza. "Julia." Trayce says surprised. I give him a small smile and keep my ray bans on, afraid if I do take them off they will reveal my blood shot eyes.

"I'm gonna head up to my room." I say. "Wait Julia." Joc says. I turn to him and he stands up. "Joc! Do you have a shirt I can us?" Someone yells from upstairs. A girl walks down in a towel and I glare at Joc.

"Oh hey Julia." Marley says smiling. "Seriously Joc?" I ask. "She needed a place to stay at." Joc says trying to explain himself. "Unbelievable." I say crossing my arms.

Corey turns around in his chair and notices me. "So about that shirt." Marley says. "I'm gonna head over to Clayton's house." I say turning to Joc. "Julia, just stay." Joc says. "No Joc! I feel bad for the girl, I really do but you know how I feel about her." I say.

"All I wanted to say was I got offered a job to be the boss of a task force." I say. "Like Hawaii Five-0?" Marley asks. "Yes." I say not bothering to look at her.

"But you're training us." Trayce says. "I know." I say. "Well are you going to take the job?" Joc asks. "Pending." I say.

"And who will be in this task force?" Joc asks. "Most likely I'll invite Kelly, Sam, Jeffrey, and Travis." I say. "Kelly's good at the computer stuff, Sam is a strong woman, Jeffrey is a strong man and a very good action planning guy, and Travis is good all around." I say.

"What about you?" Joc asks. "Good with weapons." I say nodding. "Well it's up to you." Joc says. "I know it is." I say. "But training you guys can be my half time job. Whenever Danny can't show up I will." I say.

"No." Corey blurts out. We turn to him surprise and he stands up. "You can't go to the task force."  Corey says. "And why is that?" I ask finally taking off my glasses as he walks up to me.

"Because we need you." Corey says. "You mean you? Because I'll still see her everyday." Joc says. "Yes me! Julia I'm sorry." Corey says.

"We keep going in circles Corey and this just isn't healthy. I don't like being called a 'whore' in sports magazines just because I'm dating you and people think it's for the money. I want to find a life of my own, that I can love and enjoy. Those picture and words in the magazines make me hate my life." I say.

"That has nothing to do with us being together." Corey says. "Yes it does! What makes you so sure we can be happy together if I haven't found myself yet?" I ask.

"That's why we're here for each other. So we don't have to go on this road alone." Corey says grabbing my hand.

"So stay with us." Corey says. I sigh and look down at the floor. "I'll think about it." I say honestly. I wasn't ready to get back on this road with Corey.

In fact I was still wondering with Marley was here. She ruined Corey and I in the first place. I couldn't look at her without remembering that she was the girl Corey flirted with.

"I'll be in my room." I say before going upstairs.

~*~
The next day it was the same routine. I got up and got dressed for tonight's game then we left to the stadium.

This job was never a break. Except for off season and days when we didn't have games, but that wasn't much. If I work with task team I would work 48 hours then take 48 hours off and then go back. Now if we were working a hard case it would be different, but still we get weekends off and we don't travel too much.

I was thinking so hard it made my head hurt.

"Let's go." Joc says. I nod and walk downstairs and to my car. That's right, finally my car was out the shop and home. My black 1969 Chevy Camaro.

It was old, but looked like it was just made. "Why don't you get a Mercedes? You have the money?" Marley asks. "It's okay J she didn't mean it." I say petting my steering wheel. "You named your car?" Joc asks.

"I thought you knew. His name is Jared." I say smiling. "Wow, nerd." Joc says. "How dare you." I say before taking off.

Surprisingly everyone fit in my car comfortable. When we get in Coach Roberts begin to talk to the boys.

"Hey Julia, I know we got off the wrong track and I'm sorry for whatever I did." Marley says. "You don't know what you did so why are you sorry?" I ask. "Well you are someone I look up to here, I need to learn from you. But if you are angry with me I can't." She says.

"So you are only using me for your education and my house as a hotel?" I ask. Marley stays quiet and I nod. "Sorry, but no apology not accepted. I will teach you all that I know, but we will not be best friends." I say before walking out to the field.

A couple of fans begin to ask for pictures of me and autographs and I gladly do so. "Julia?" Someone asks. I turn to them and see Corey. "Can we talk over dinner after the game?" He asks.

I think for awhile and he pleads me with his eyes. "Sure." I say nodding. Corey gives me a small smile before walking away to start warm ups. I follow him back to the field and Danny walks up to me.

"Look Julia, I never want to fire you, but don't make me." He scolds. "What did I do?" I ask. "Please teach the interns and remember to keep your personal life with Corey at home." Danny says. "Let me guess Marley?" I ask. "You treat our interns with respect, just like they do to you." Danny says. I widen my eyes and turn to a smirking Marley looking at me.