Chapter 47 : Close Strings

32 votes and 20 comments for next chapterI groan in frustration as Joc doesn't answer his phone

I groan in frustration as Joc doesn't answer his phone. I grab my bag and run onto the field. "Danny, Joc is missing. I'm going to go find him." I say. "He's missing?" I nod frantically and Danny widens his eyes, "Okay, text me if you find him." He says. I nod and run towards the the clubhouse. I quickly write a note to Corey telling him i'm taking his car.

I rush out to the car and think of places Joc would be. Nothing came to mind since usually on game days he would be at Dodger Stadium. I try calling him again but he doesn't answer. I call Travis to meet me at the office and he agrees to help.

~*~
As I walk into the office I'm greeted by Kelly, Jeffrey, Sam, Travis and Dylan. "I called for backup." Travis says motioning to everyone. Dylan smiles at me and I smile back. "Thank you everyone for coming." I say. "Of course." Kelly says. "So what do you need us to do?" Sam asks.

"Okay um Kelly check the traffic cameras and try to find Joc's car, Dylan and Travis go check these places, Sam can you check the house, and Jeffrey you're with me." I say. Everyone nods and I hand Dylan and Travis a piece of paper with the list of places Joc may be at.

Everyone walks away from the circle we formed and Jeffrey and I go to my office. "Joc isn't at the stadium, his car wasn't in the parking lot." I state. Jeffrey nods and he opens my laptop to start searching things. "Maybe I can track down his phone." He says. I nod and hand him my phone so he can call Joc or get his number.

"When's the last time you saw him?" Jeffrey asks. "This morning at the house before I started to get ready for tonight's game." I say. Jeffrey nods and typed something on the laptop. "Maybe he's still at the house." Jeffrey suggests. I shrug, "His car was gone when Corey and I left." I say. Jeffrey nods and turns to the laptop to stay focus.

I groan not knowing where Joc could possibly think and widen my eyes. "Jeffrey come with me." I say grabbing his arm. "What? Okay." Jeffrey says as I drag him out of the office and towards my car. "Where are we going?" "Just stay quiet." I shush him as I take off towards the place Joc went to clear his mind. Jensen's grave.

~*~
I run to the grave my brother was buried at and find Joc sitting down next to the headstone. "How'd you find me?" Joc asks wiping his eyes. "Why wouldn't I?" I question. Joc stands up and I stare at him slightly confused on what's he's doing.

"I need to talk to you." Joc says. "Okay talk." I say. "Don't get mad that I didn't tell you this along time ago." Joc says. I nod and cross my arms to wait for him to speak.

"You don't remember do you?" Joc asks. "Remember what?" I ask. "The whole story of Jensen." I nod, "I do you mom and dad told me that he had cancer and doctors couldn't do anything." I say. Joc shakes his head, "We never told you the true story." He says. I raise my eyebrow and Joc sighs.

"You had cancer also. Remember?" Joc asks. I shake my head. "You and Jensen were diagnosed with liver cancer, but yours was worst. You both had the same blood type so when there was an available liver doctors decided to give it to you since you needed more. Jensen died the following week since no livers were available right away." My jaw drops and Joc stares at me waiting to reply back.

"I basically killed him." I say crying. "No Julia you didn't. It was a medical decision." Joc says. "Plus Jensen agreed to give you the liver." Joc adds. "He agreed?" I ask. Joc nods and I wipe my tears away. "Why?" I ask. "He loved you so much he would want you to see you live more than himself." Joc says. I look down at Jensen's grave and Joc places a hand on my back. "You told me that the scar on my stomach was from softball." I say. "Mom and dad didn't want you to be filled with guilt." Joc says. I frown and Joc sighs, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." Joc says. "It's fine, I get why you did it." I say looking up at him. Joc grabs ahold of my weak body and pulls me into a hug.

"Now you understand that when I tell you you're strong I mean it." Joc whispers. I cry harder and Joc holds me tighter. "I'm sorry Julia." He whispers. Joc plants a kiss on top of my head before letting me go. "I found him!" I hear a familiar voice, "Wait what?" They speak again. I turn and find Travis. I almost forget that the graveyard was one of the locations I gave to him.

"You knew he was here?" Dylan asks walking behind Travis. "It just came to me when I was at the office with Jeffrey." I say wiping my tears. "Oh okay." Dylan replies. I nod and Joc and I walk towards Corey's car. "Where's your car?" Joc asks. "We took Corey's car to the game so when I left I took his car." I say. Joc nods and we climb into the car.

Travis walks to the drivers seat window and smiles, "You too be careful." Travis says. I nod and he waves at us and I take off. "We can get your car later." I say. Joc nods and I drive towards the stadium.

~*~
Joc got in trouble for ditching the game like that and not telling anyone. So he is out for the next two games. "Where was he?" Danny asks. "He was at home." I lie. Danny nods and we turn back to the game. "By the way, we must work on running next practice." Danny says. I nod and watch as Corey steps to the plate.

I stare nervously as Corey takes the first pitch as a strike."That boy you got there is really talented." Danny says. I nod in agreement and watch as Corey steps into the box and waits for the pitcher to throw the ball. Once he does Corey sends it out to right field for a single. "Told you." Danny says clapping. I smile and cross my arms. "Trust me, I know." I say. Danny smiles and I walk into the clubhouse to head to my seat in the stands so I can see another view of mistakes the boys make on the field.

~*~
After the game Corey enters the car with a frown. "What's wrong?" I ask. "I have to talk to you when we get home." Corey says. I nod and he starts the car so we can go home. Corey talks to me about the game, but my mind wanders off to things he might tell me.

Was Corey breaking up with me? Did he want the ring back because he's not ready to commit? Does he want me to quit my other job to focus more on the team? I shake my head and turn back to the road as I watch Corey turn into the driveway of our tall house. "Ready?" Corey asks. I nod and we both get out the car and walk towards the house.

I take my keys out of my purse and unlock the door. I take my time too scared to find out what Corey needs to say to me. "Julia hurry." Corey groans. I sigh and open the door and walk inside.

"Before we talk, just know that he really cares about you." Corey says. I raise my eyebrows confused and Corey pauses. "You can come out!" Corey yells. I cross my arms curious now. Footsteps are heard as someone walks down the stairs.

A dirty blonde, tall, very skinny, wide shoulders, young man appears and smiles. I raise an eyebrow confused and turn to Corey who smiles at the young man. "Julia, this is Jensen." Corey pauses and turns to me. "Your brother."