Chapter 63 : Sound

33 Votes and 32 comments for next chapter

I leaned against the car and stared out into the distance ignoring everything around me. Cars honked, and drivers yelled for me to get out the road. I couldn't. The only thing I could do was think of the bright lights of the truck that crashed into me. It played over and over again. Then I remembered the times when Corey would visit me and talk to me even though he knew I couldn't talk to him.

"Julia." Corey says. I look up at him and he stands alone. "Julia what happened?" He asks leaning down to me. "I couldn't do it." I say turning to him. "Do what?" He asks. "Drive. Someone cut me off and almost hit me." I say. "So you called me? To help?" Corey asks. I nod and turn back to the road where cars speed past us. "Okay well why don't we get out of the street so we can talk about this somewhere else." Corey says. I nod and he helps me up and into the passenger seat.

"You didn't come with anyone else?" I ask. "No I just grabbed Joc's keys and left." Corey says. I nod, "Drive carefully please." I say motioning to road and remembering the last time he drove. Corey nods and begins to drive to the nearest coffee shop. "Why'd you stop though?" Corey asks turning to me. "I was scared that it was going to happen all over again." I say sighing. Corey frowns, "You shouldn't be driving for awhile then." He says. I nod in agreement, "I may have a headache from all the cars that honked at me." Corey chuckles and I shake my head as he parks the car.

We both get out the car and I lean on Corey to help me inside. "When is the last time you worked out?" Corey asks. "Last week." I say as he guides me to a table. "I haven't had time because I've been busy." I say. "You've been weak you mean." Corey says turning to me. "No. I'm perfectly fine." I say shaking my head. "Julia, you just leaned on me for help to walk what? 10 feet?" Corey asks looking behind him to do the math. "I'm fine." I say sitting down. "Julia when is the last time you went to the doctors?" Corey asks. "Last month." I say. "Julia, you need to go once a week." Corey says sitting down.

I sigh and Corey shakes his head, "In fact after we talk I'm taking you to the doctors." Corey says. I groan and Corey closes his eyes. "You can't do that to yourself Julia." "I know Corey." I say. "Obviously you don't Julia." Corey says putting his hand in his pocket and taking out his wallet. "Do you want anything?" He asks. I look at the menu and back to Corey. "No thank you." I say before he gets up and gets in line. 

I wait for Corey and stare at Corey and how different he has been the past week. He has been the Corey I fell in love with. When Corey returns he places a cup in front of me. "Drink it." He says before sitting down. "What is it?" I ask. "Iced caramel macchiato." Corey says. My favorite. I nod and place my hands around the cup.

"I have a question." Corey says. I nod, "I may have an answer." Corey chuckles, "Why did you call me?" Corey asks. "It was your car." I say. Corey tilts his head trying to see if i was telling the truth. "Plus you know what my problem is." I add. "Your problem?" Corey asks. "I can't drive." I say answering. Corey rolls his eyes, "Julia don't be so afraid to move on." "It's hard okay? While waiting for you all I could do was remember the flashbacks of bright light that got brighter as they came closer." I say. Corey stays quiet and shrug. "It's hard." I say.

"What made you get out the car?" Corey asks. "I got in a car accident I needed to get out of the car." I say. Corey nods and I cross my arms. "i don't want to talk about this anymore." I say shaking my head. Corey nods and I stand up, "And if you want to take me the hospital then we better go now." I say checking my watch. Corey nods and we both walk back out to his car.

~*~
"Okay so after multiple tests we have found out that you lost 2% of your muscle." My doctor says. "You haven't been working out I'm guessing." He says. I shake my head, "When is the last time?" Corey asks. "And I want the truth." He adds.

"The last day was when I worked out at Dodger Stadium to prove to you guys that I was fine." I say. "Julia that was the only time you worked out?" Corey asks. I nod and he shakes his head.  "You shouldn't do this to yourself." Corey says. I shrug, "Well you shouldn't have left me." Corey stays quiet and the doctor stands next to me quietly. "Okay well Miss. Pederson you should try to workout more." He says. I nod and grab my purse before leaving the room.

Corey follows me and I roll my eyes. "What was that in there?" Corey asks. "I shouldn't have called you to save me from this.. mess." I say shaking my head. "Julia I'll always be here for you." Corey says. "You know what? That's bullshit. In this world you can never count on anyone, but yourself. I don't need you, I don't need a man in my life to tell me what I can and cannot do. I know I have potential to do anything in my life. So leave me alone. I'll find myself a ride home." I say before walking out of the hospital.

"Don't be stubborn Julia. Let me give you a ride." Corey says. I turn to him and stop. "Look I'm thankful that you went out of your way to come and help me, but you have a fiance and if I look at you for one more minute I'm afraid I won't control myself on getting my hands on you." I yell. Corey stays quiet and steps towards me as I take a step back. Then he does, he does the unthinkable. He kisses me.