Chapter 51 : Letting Go

30 votes and 20 comments for next chapter

Corey's POV
It was about five months later when I lost control. I drank one or two beers a day missing her. I dreamt that she would come back, but she never woke up. I spent my off season day's at her hospital, but then went back home to visit my family. I wouldn't go unless I knew Joc, Kiké, Travis, or Justine would stay with Julia though.

One day after my game I went to visit Julia. She didn't look pale anymore, in fact it looked like she was just sleeping. Her bruises were long gone along with the bandages on her wrist and her cast that was on her leg. I sit down besides her bed and grab onto her hand.

That was the day when I felt Julia squeeze my hand. Doctors told me it was nothing and not to worry about it. But since then it was the only thing I could think of. As if it was the only thing between Julia and I.

A year passed and I wanted to wait for Julia to wake up so bad, but I couldn't. I had fallen in love with another. Britney Morey. She was beautiful. She was almost like Julia. Almost. She wasn't Julia, but she did try to be. The only difference was that Britney wasn't blonde like Julia. Britney worked in the medical field in the army, and is a great trainer. In fact we work out together. We both have the same goals in love including a family, marriage, a house for the family, and a happy ending in life.

Britney understood that I still went to visit Julia and she was fine with it. She didn't care that every week I brought Julia flowers, or that I visit her everyday. I loved Britney, she understood me.

"You look very down, what's the matter?" Britney speaks as I keep my eyes on the road. "I haven't seen Julia is a month, you know how horrible I feel?" I ask. Britney smiles and grabs my hand. "Good, you should feel bad that you didn't make time to see her." She says. I turn to her as I stop at a red light and chuckle. "Well I did tell you I would make more time for you between work and visiting Julia so I had to make some moves in my calendar." I say. Britney smiles, "Thank you for that." She says before kissing me. I smile at her and turn my head back to the road as the light turns green.

~*~
Britney and I walk into Julia's room and Joc, Clayton, Travis, and a familiar face, but I don't remember his name. "What are you doing here?" Travis asks glaring at me. "I came to visit Julia." I say placing the flowers I brought on the desk besides Julia. Travis pulls me aside and I stare at him confused.

"You know the rule. You come alone or don't come at all. Julia can wake up anytime, and if she does do you really want her to see you along with another girl that happens to be your girlfriend?" Travis asks. "If she even wakes up." I say. "You have the nerve to say something like that. Get out. And don't come back." Travis says. I shake my head at Travis before taking a good look at Julia. "Go." Travis says once again. I glare at him then grab ahold of Britney's hand and walk out the room.

After then I didn't visit Julia unless Trayce was on Julia duty. He let me sneak it without telling Joc or Travis. I still cared for Julia, but I couldn't just wait for her. It was already two years of her in that coma and I had plans to move on.

~*~
January 23, 2018 was the day I got a call. Joc was thinking of letting Julia go. I told him it was up to him, when Julia wasn't able to decide her medical decisions it was Joc who did. Turns out Joc wasn't ready yet and decided to not let Julia go yet.

2018 was also the year I remembered what I promised Julia so broke up with Britney. I didn't mean to break her heart or be mean, but a promise is a promise and I couldn't break it. Plus I loved Julia and I don't break promises to the ones I love. 

The thing I felt bad about is that Justine didn't allow Jensen to see Julia. It took her time to get over Joc not telling Justine too. It was a whole mess for awhile then Joc promised he wouldn't talk to Jensen.

A lot of people went to visit Julia besides the team. Christian Yelich, my brother Kyle, her army squad, Danny, Dave, Vin, Kris Bryant, some of the boys on the Angels, and plenty of her old friends from high school. You can say that Julia was a popular girl.

My life in 2018 was soon replaced by my life 2019. We didn't go to playoffs in the 2018 season sadly. I bumped into Britney in 2019 and we got back together somehow and I was back in love with her, but she was no Julia.

No matter what I did or who I saw my mind would always drift off to Julia and that was the hard part. It was like I needed her in my life. The happiest yet disappointing day of my life happened on May 13, 2019.

Julia woke up. I was happy, but disappointed that I didn't keep my promise. She was going to be pissed and sad that I didn't wait for her. The one promise I told her, I wouldn't give up on us. I gave up, because I was too selfish to wait for her. I was selfish because I wanted a family, and Julia couldn't provide that to me when I wanted it. I was so selfish that I let the one person I loved slip out of my hands. The bad thing was, I didn't even care to visit her when she woke up.