Chapter 42 : Prove Yourself

29 votes and 19 comments for next chapter

"So Julia how has the team improved this year?" A reporter asks. "Um they have conditioned really hard during the preseason which made them stronger, we try to do some condition every day to help improve their strength also. Our batting, pitching, and basically all our coaches try to improve everything that the boys do." I say. He nods and points to Dave next to me.

"What's it like to also be a rookie athletic trainer with the rookie manager?" He asks. "It has been an overall journey, um Dave and I have gotten really close since we do talk about what we can do to better the boys. But besides being on the field we also try to spend time together. We spent this off season going to my hometown together for a week." I say. He nods and Dave says his opinion on working with me. "Julia is really great to work with. She's basically a like a utility player she does a lot of things around here."

I zip up my hoodie and Dave answers three more questions before we end the pregame interview. "Thank you for joining us today." The reporter says. "Of course." I say smiling before walking towards the dugout. "Hello boys, are you ready to start warming up?" I ask. They nod and begin to go out one by one to begin stretching and running.

I walk into the clubhouse and grab one of Corey's gloves then walk back out to the field. The ball girl walks out of our clubhouse and I begins handing out balls to the boys who want to start playing catch.

"Right here." Joc says tossing me a ball. "Thanks." I say before walking over to Yasmani to play catch. "How is Clayton doing?" Dave asks walking up to me. "He's doing fine." I say. "Okay he'll be pitching tomorrow." I nod and catch the ball the Yasmani throws to me.

I quickly throw the ball back and turn to Dave as he begins to speak again, "Also, I'd like to take you out to dinner and speak about the plans for the next two series." He says. "Okay." I say agreeing. Dave nods and walks away. "See, and here I thought you were going out with Corey tonight." Joc says walking passed me.

I widen my eyes and Joc shrugs before throwing the ball to Kiké. I groan and catch the ball Yasmani throws to me.

~*~
After the game I walk to the bathroom and change into the only outfit I brought. A two piece dress which was a white pencil skirt and a sleeveless white crop top.

I walk out of the bathroom and towards the boys clubhouse. I slip on a Dodgers jacket and head into the clubhouse. The Dodgers won the series against Arizona and we were now heading to Colorado later tonight.

"We have about two and a half hours for dinner." Dave says walking towards me. "Wait what?" Corey asks turning around. "Julia and I are going to dinner to talk about the next two series." Dave says. Corey slips on a shirt before walking out of the clubhouse.

I sigh and point my index finger up. "I'll be just a minute." I say. Dave nods and I walk out of the clubhouse following Corey.

"I'm so sorry Corey, he asked me and I couldn't say no. You know that. I just got my job back, I don't want to ruin that." I say frowning. Corey nods and digs in his back pocket. "Well then I guess I'll give you what I was going to give you tonight." Corey says. I raise an eyebrow and Corey pulls out a small box and an envelope.

Corey opens the box and reveals a ring.

"It's a promise ring

"It's a promise ring. I promise you this Julia. I promise that I won't make the same mistakes, I promise that I will always love you even when you get on my nerves, I promise to make time for you, I promise you that I won't give up on us, and I promise that I will stand by your side through the hard and easy times." Corey says.

I stare at him and he closes the box. "Just think about it." Corey says handing me the box and envelope. "Read the letter on the plane or after dinner with Skip." Corey says. I nod and grab the two things from his hands.

"I'll talk to you later." Corey says leaning down to kiss my forehead. "By the way you look beautiful." Corey says looking down at my outfit. "Thank you." I say before walking into the clubhouse to get Dave.

~*~
We were on the plane and I sat between Dave and Clayton. The two were sleeping so I thought it was perfect timing to read the letter.

Julia,
You have an important decision to make in two days. I thought this would help with the decision. I love you. I love the way you smile at me, the way you glare at me when I say the wrong things, the way you yell at me when I'm making a bad choice, the way you get jealous when Marley is around or any girl, the way you look in your navy uniform, the way you push me to do better, the way you laugh at my stupid jokes, the way you look like when you just woke up in the morning, the way your hair flows in the wind, the way you have respect for me, and the way you make me fall in love with you more and more. I love you Julia Pederson. You may think i'm in love with the game, but I'm not. I'm in love with you.

I smile and fold up the letter before turning to Clayton to see him opening his eyes. "Hey." I say smiling. "Hi." He says. "What's that?" He adds pointing to the small box in my hand. "Corey gave me a promise ring." I say. Clayton smiles and I open the box to show him.

"It's beautiful." Clayton says. I nod in agreement and smile at Clayton. "I think you should give him a third chance." Clayton says. I look down at my hands then back at Clayton. "I think I will." I say smiling. Clayton smiles and points to his watch, "I should get back to sleep, see you when we land." He says before falling asleep.

Day six was over and I knew my answer.

~*~
When we land Dave and I walk out of the plane together. "Corey wants to talk to you." Joc says walking up to me. I nod and walk over to Corey.

"Hey beautiful." Corey says leaning down to kiss my cheek. "Corey." I say, Corey nods and I smile, "I made my decision."