Chapter 16

Saint Smith
My nerves were through the roof. Today we found out who made the basketball team or not. I was itching to find out if I made it.

I sat in my second period class tapping my pen on the desk consistently. My leg bounced up and down and I kept biting my tongue.

Suddenly out of the blue, the morning announcements came on.

"Goooood Morning Oakfield High!" A girl with a high pitched voice spoke.

"It is another beautiful Monday! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend and had as much fun as I did. We have very few announcements today. First off, there will be cake served in the cafeteria for those who would like some all lunch periods. Secondly, there will be no after school programs today so those who have any extracurricular activities can go home. And last but not least, those who made the boys basketball team, will be posted on our beloved assistant principals door after second period. For those who made the team, practice begins on Wednesday for your first game! Enjoy the rest of your day and congratulations to whoever made the team"

My heart started to race. I couldn't wait to leave second period now. The tapping of my pen on the desk got more intense by the minute.

I sat up right in my chair, making my body all tense. We still had at least 15 minutes left of class so I had to sit tight until then.

"Excuse me, but could you stop tapping your pen. Its really annoying." I heard from behind me. I turned around to see it was a girl who had been trying to concentrate on reading her text book.

"My fault." I mumbled. I stopped tapping my pen but I couldn't stop my leg from shaking. I stared into space for the rest of the class period until the bell rang. It somewhat calmed my nerves but as soon as I exited the classroom, I raced to the front of the assistant principals office.

Already I could see the guys I tried out with. Some of them sucked their teeth, some of them simply walked away hopping into the air in attempt to touch the ceiling.

"I knew I was gonna make it." One of them spoke.

I slowly approached the door, now looking for my name on the paper.

"Kenny, Armani, Joshua, Sai-" I whispered, reading the names off the paper, stopping once I saw mine.

"Yeahhh you know the fucking vibes" I said biting my bottom lip and rubbing my hands together.

"Oh bro you made the team?" I heard someone ask from behind me.

I turned around to see Lisa's boyfriend Keone. I was a little surprised he was talking to me. I could only assume he was gonna be a dick to me just like Mickel was.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"That's dope bro." He said holding his hand up to give me a high five. I just stared at him.

He put his hand down.

I started to walk away but he followed me. "So what position you normally play?"

"Point guard." I sighed.

"Damn you must be good." He said.

I shrugged my shoulders. I just wanted him to go away. I really didn't want to associate with any of Cassie's friends after what happened Saturday.

Keone continued to walk in my direction. I kept looking over at him. He just wouldn't go away.

"Nigga don't you have a third period class or something?" I asked stopping in my tracks.

"Yeah. We have the same class this period. I don't think you saw me because I sit towards the back and all the way in the corner." He explained.

He didn't seem like he was up to anything so I decided to hold a conversation with him.