Chapter 38: Is you or is you ain't?

I don't usually name my chapters but I felt the need to name this one.
Saint Smith
I lit the scented candle Cassie brought over here to make it more comfortable for her when she came over. She was on her way to my crib and I was getting prepared.

I smoked a blunt about a half hour ago before so I had a nice high at the moment. The lights were dimmed, place was clean, I was showered, dressed in a white tee and basketball shorts with slides, and I had a silk durag tied around my head.

I was ready to chill with her for the rest of the night. As soon as I took a seat on my couch, my doorbell rang.

I jumped up, heading towards my apartment door. I unlocked it, letting her in. Already I could tell something was wrong by the expression on her face. She'd been carrying a white plastic bag and inside was a box.

I ignored it, pulling her in closer to me by her butt and squeezed it. "I missed you." I mumbled.

She looked up at me. Her eyes said something different.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Take a seat." She spoke, taking her coat off and putting it to the side.

I sucked my teeth, letting go of her. "Always something." I mumbled.

"Saint just please listen." She whimpered, closing and locking the door behind herself.

"What is it Cassie?" I asked, taking a seat on the couch like she asked me too.

"I might be..." she spoke. "I might be pregnant." She said, letting tears fall from her eyes.

At this moment I didn't know what to say, what to think, how to respond, I just couldn't grasp it.

"Saint?" She questioned.

"You sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's what Lisa said. So I went and brought a pregnancy test." She spoke quietly, letting her voice crack.

"Come here." I mumbled. She walked closer to me now standing over me. "Sit down." I ordered, patting my lap. She sat down on my lap.

I wrapped my arms around her waist, she buried her head in between my neck and shoulder.

I felt her wet tears drip down my neck. I caressed her head with one of my hands.

"It's aii." I spoke. "Don't cry. Just take the test and we'll see from there."

"Okay." She mumbled, nodding her head. Pulling herself away from me. I slid my hand down her back, gripping her ass.

She got up, taking the plastic bag with her. I watched as she walked away, she crossed her fingers tightly behind her back.

I took a deep breath once she was out of my eye sight. I wasn't ready to be no kid daddy. Me and Cass only been talking for a while. Even though I knew her like the back of my hand, it was still hard to tell my future with her.

I loved Cassie but I wasn't ready for a child. But in the case that she was pregnant, I accept the fact that I'd have to man up and become a perfect father figure unlike my pops.

But another thing that worried me was my future with playing ball. Shit blew me. I couldn't even picture my life unsuccessful. That's all I've imagined since was a youngin'.

Five minutes went by and Cassie was still in the bathroom. I was anxious as hell. If she was prego, I was getting my tubes tied ASAP. I ain't want no more mini me's runnin' around my place. One was enough.

Cassie came out of the bathroom with a calm and sensible look on her face.

"So...is you or is you ain't?" I asked nervously, fiddling with my fingers like she did when she got nervous.

She took a deep breath, closing her eyes.

"I ain't." She smirked, taking a sigh of relief.

She walked over to me, sitting next to me, and showing me her pregnancy test. It clearly read "not-pregnant."

"That was close." I huffed.

"Hell yeah. My entire future flashed before my eyes when I was peeing on that thing." She said.

"What the hell were all them symptoms yo friend was talking bout then?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know!" She said widening her eyes. "That girl had my worried to death."

"Since pregnancy ain't an option, what'd you eat Thanksgiving?" I asked.

"I had a little bit of everything. You know how fat I am." She smiled.

"Wait...even my uncle white girlfriends food?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess. What'd she even make?" She shrugged with one shoulder.

"That nasty ass potato salad! You can't be eating her food. She always putting some weird shit in it saying it's good for you spirit." I explained. "That's what most likely fucked you up."

"Oh damn. I only ate that because I felt bad. Nobody was touching it and she stood by waiting for someone to take some so I dug in." She said, sucking air through her teeth.

"Girl thats what fucked yo stomach up." I smiled, tickling her belly.

She giggled, pushing my hands away. "Stoop!" She laughed.

I trailed my fingers hers across her stomach.

"Why you playing with my belly for? That tickles." She smiled, placing her hand over mine.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"Saint." She spoke.

"Hm?" I murmured.

"Serious question." She spoke.

"Shoot." I said.

"What would you have done if I really was pregnant?" She asked.

The room was filled with silence. I didn't know how to answer that. Words didn't easily come to me in situations like this. She looked down at me waiting for my answer. She stroked my tattoo above my eyebrow with her thumb.

"I mean..." I spoke, clearing my throat. "I would be grateful for a son-" I said before she cut me off.

"A son?" She questioned, raising her eyebrow.

"You ain't even let me finish." I said, letting my voice get higher. "Or daughter. And especially with you." I said.

"Awww." She pouted.

"But another thing is, us niggas is too young to be having a kid. Cassie you only seventeen and I'm only nineteen." I said trying to make a point. "We got our whole life. Plus just like me, I'm sure you have huge goals you want to achieve before you settle down and have a bunch of mini Saints runnin' around."

"I one hundred percent agree and I know you have big goals, but I honestly don't know what I want to do." She sighed. "Like I never was taught to think outside of just living in Chicago. All because of how much money my family has. My mom never encouraged me." She shrugged.

"I'm sure you'll find something Cass. I promise. You gone be as successful as me, maybe more. And trust me, that's real good." I assured her.

She smiled, closing her eyes and letting her dimples show. She was so beautiful when she did that shit.

"Mmm. I could imagine." She smiled.

"And one day, we gone live in a big ass house with three stories, mad rooms, a pool, a lil spa for you and yo lil friends when they come over, two boys-" I said, before cutting myself off when I saw her raise her eyebrow.

"-a son and daughter, like...three dogs, six cars, real basketball court in the backyard, and all that." I smiled.

"You dream so big." She said, looking into my eyes. I shifted my head to her lap laying down that way. She trailed her thumb all over my tats.

"I always did. And nobody could tell me shit. Not even my pops." I mumbled.

"That's what I love about you." She smiled.

***
Sorry this was so short🥺
I wanted to start on a clean slate.
But how was it?🥰
Vote💕
Comment💬