Prolouge

Salem, Massachusetts 1692

The rain came crashing down. The thunder roared throughout the entire village and the lightning seemed to crack every now and then. It was a quiet night in the Delavan home and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Milo Delavan sat by his fire place, reading a novel by his favorite author until it occurred to him, he had not heard a peep from his younger sister Madeline.

"Luca...have you seen our reckless excuse for a sister?" He chuckled, picking his nose up out of his book.

Luca looked up at his twin brother with an irked look on his face. "Why would I know where she is?" He spat, cracking his knuckles.

"Well than!" He exclaimed, hopping up from his chair. He ran up the stairs of their two story home.

"Madeline?" He called out. There was no answer. He slowly crept into her room. "Madeline?" He called again.

Once her door was open, he searched the room, scanning it with his eyes. To his surprise, no one was in the room. He had not seen her come down stairs either. He took one step into the room, only to find her bay window was cracked open. There were sheets tied together hanging out of her window. Milo realized she'd snuck out.

"Luca! Luca!" Milo cried, running down the stairs.

"What you imbecile?!" He huffed, meeting Milo at the end of the stairs.

"Madeline." He panted. "She snuck out."

"What?! She knows the family rule!" Luca exclaimed.

The family rules in the Delavan home were simple. You were not allowed to stay out past sun down. Witch trials were being taken place almost every day. The last thing the Delavan brothers needed was their sister being accused of witchcraft. If it weren't for that wretched girl Abigail Williams, nobody would have to fear for their lives every waking moment of the day.

"Where are we going to look?" Luca asked, grabbing his coat.

"I- I don't know, but we MUST stick together." Milo emphasized, putting on his leather boots. "Let's look near the forest first."

Luca nodded his head.

Just as Milo opened the door, Madeline came bursting through it. She fell to the ground, getting up, trying to catch her breath.

"You impulsive ignoramus!" Luca bellowed. "Where were you?!"

"I could explain Luca!" Madeline pleaded.

"There is no explanation for your actions Madeline." Milo sighed, taking off his coat. "You know the rules."

"But I was out for a reason! I was working on something. Something important!" She cried.

"You put all of our lives in danger!" Luca yelled.

"Luca calm down, she's home now." Milo sighed, closing the door behind his careless sister.

"No! What could you have possibly been doing out there after dark?" Luca huffed.

"Well...I was in the forest." Madeline admitted, uncovering her white bonnet and pushing her wet dirty blonde locks of hair out of her face.