Chapter 65

the song>>>
***
Anais Jones
8:30pm
The store was finally closing and I couldn't believe it. Time went by so damn fast it was like I never came to work at all. I was just glad a bitch was finally goin home. Couldn't wait to snuggle up under my boo. Ain't seen him in a few hours and I wasn't here for that.

"Anais..." Noel called out from the back room.

"Yeah?"

"Can you come here fa a second. This locker is jammed and I don't know the code to get back in." He huffed.

"Okay I'm comin."

Heading towards the back room, I found a struggling Noel trying to buss open his locker.

"You weren't supposed to lock it." I chuckled. "Rookie mistake."

"Damn so what if somebody steal my stuff while I'm gone?" He asked.

"Not likely but you know, you get used to that fear. None of these lockers work so we have to live with that." I explained picking the lock with a hair pin.

Once it was unlocked, I swung it open and handed him his things.

"Yo good looks." He smiled.

I waved him off. "No problem."

"Now I dead know fa next time not to lock it." He laughed putting his coat on.

I did the same, grabbing my phone after I was finished. I smiled when I saw Luca's name pop up on my screen but disappointed when I read the message.

bighead🥰
nana...i can't pick you up tonight. i got caught up at the job. niggas want me to do overtime.

Me
you can't use your magic? what happened? can't you like zap it done or something💀

bighead🥰
baby it don't work like that. look i'll see you lata at the crib aight? try to stay up fa me. love you.

I took a deep breath. My mood automatically shifted from being excited to being let down and it was not a good feeling.

"You good?" Noel asked, noticing I was a upset.

"Yeah. I'm good." I lied as we walked side by side out of the store. He turned off the lights and locked the doors. For some reason, I stood there and watched.

"You get home safe...ya heard?" He nodded.

"I'll try."

Suddenly, thunder clapped dumb hard. It sounded like it was going to pour on us.

"See you Thursday." He waved.

"See ya." I waved back, forcing a smile.

I stood under the hood of the store wondering how I was finna get home. My dumbass left my metro card at home thinking Luca was gone pick me up, car was in the shop, there was no way I was getting home. And there wasn't no way I was calling a fucking $100 uber back to Brooklyn. Shittin me?

"Yo..." I heard from behind me.

I looked around already figuring who it was.

"Hey..." I chuckled awkwardly, staring up at Noel's big ole Bambi eyes. They sparkled in the street lights and it was like he was trying to make me think he was adorable.

"Yuh need a ride a sum?" He asked. "You out here still and it's literally bout to pour rain in like 5 minutes."

"No...just waiting for my Uber." I lied.

"Look at you...shivering."

"My Uber should literally be here in like 3 minutes. I'm good. I promise you." I smiled, grateful for his hospitality.