Chapter 49

Milo Delavan
Last night was the first night I actually got some sleep. The first night I aint have no dreams, hear no bumps inna night, no hallucinations, nothing. Just a regular ass sleep. One I haven't had since before Luca came home.

I sat up in my bed, looking at the bright ass sun outside. I hated when I forgot to close my curtains at night. I had to pay for it in the morning.

Checking the time, I realized it'd actually been 12 in the afternoon. I ain't realize I slept that long. As I was about to get out of bed, I saw that someone else had been in it.

My eyes widened and for a second I was scared until I realized it'd only been Maddy sleeping at the foot of my bed.

I forgot she asked to sleep with me cause she was scared. It was great to know shawty had night terrors. When she started screaming at the top of her lungs at 3 in the morning, I already knew what I was dealing with.

She'd been shaking and crying in Luca's bed when I'd found her. Luca used to get those all the time.

Getting out of bed, I tried my hardest not to wake her up. But I did the exact opposite by tripping over one of my sneakers and falling straight to the ground.

She sat up in bed, looking down at me on the floor.

"Fuckin loser." She chuckled, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Morning." I sighed getting up from the floor. "I'm finna make breakfast. You want?"

She nodded her head hella fast. "I'm starving."

I motioned for her to come with me. She nodded her head, getting out of bed and following me to the kitchen.

Then she sat at the kitchen table watching me take out ingredients for pancakes, bacon and eggs.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked tryna make some conversation.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Pretty good. I guess."

"You always have nightmares like that?" I asked.

She nodded her head, stretching her arms out and dragging her hands across her face. "Yeah."

"Every night?" I asked.

She nodded her head again, now yawning. "Mmhm. Sorry I ain't mean to wake you."

"Nah it's okay. It's no problem." I shrugged, cracking the eggs and frying them in the pan.

She looked over at me. I could feel her eyes just analyzing my whole everything right now.

"Where's Luca? Does he not live here?" She asked.

"He does. He's just out with...his girlfriend right now." I answered, stunned by my choice of words.

"Damn on Christmas?" She asked.

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. "Yeah."

"I would've thought you guys would've been in the other realm now. That's why I was so hesitant to ring your doorbell. I'm glad I did though." She explained.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Glad you did too...But the family banned us from visiting the other realm so we're stuck here. I mean we might sneak in to pick up a few things but other than that..."

"Wait why...?" She asked.

"Well...the family thought it was irresponsible for us to let the village murder you. Or even letting our secret getting let out and shit. And I guess you know the other reason." I answered.

"Mmm." She murmured, looking away.

I genuinely felt bad. I fucked over the only innocent family member in my whole immediate family. Put her through so much bullshit. And she was so young. I wish I could turn back the clock and fix my past mistakes but it wasn't that easy.