Chapter 9

Anais Jones
The car ride on the way to my crib was hella quiet. I didn't know why but I had a clue. This was posed to be an outing for just me and Jared but some how Milo got into the mix. It turned into one big group outing and I felt like it was my fault. Mostly because I didn't tell him to leave.

I wanted to tell him but the words weren't coming out. It felt like I was under a spell or some shit. I looked over at Jared who's eyes stayed focused on the road.

"You okay?" I asked, resting my hand on his shoulder.

"I'm good." He mumbled.

"You sur-" I spoke before he cut me off.

"Anais, I said I'm good." He spat.

The car went silent. Now I knew he was pissed. I honestly didn't know what to say. Like he said he was fine so why should I apologize or further investigate. Instead I just took a deep breath and pulled out my phone.

As soon as I did, I got a text message lighting up the entire car with its flash.

Jared didn't even glance over.

Opening up my phone, I went straight to my messages to see Milo had messaged me.

"Oh shit." I whispered to myself.

Milo
wussup

Me
hiii

Milo
wyd

Me
inna car with J. what's the matter?

Milo
I was finna ask when we continuin our luh canvas? I lowkey had fun witchu today.

Me
so did i...uhhh I guess tomorrow. don't really have plans or nun.

Milo
ight bett

I looked up from my phone, smirking a little. I was glad to see that Milo was thinking about our canvas. Despite what happened yesterday, I was sure as hell that I wanted to complete it.

But from my peripheral vision I could finally see Jared glance over at me. He looked down at my phone which was still on Milos contact name. Then I quickly turned it off once I realized.

"Let me ask you sum." He huffed.

My stomach damn there turned to ice. I didn't know what the fuck the nigga was gone say.

"Mmhm." I murmured.

"You fuck with me Anais?" He asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"And you really tryna get to know me?" He questioned.

"Yes Jared." I answered, saying his actual name so he would know I was serious.

"Okay." He nodded. "So what the fuck is the deal with that Milo nigga?"

I was shocked at his tone.

"Thats literally just my friend." I shrugged, rolling my eyes.

"Nah...I know that. But like that nigga want you Anais. You would be a dummy not to see it. Shit he prolly knew you was at the museum and pulled up. He know damn well he don't be going to the museum after school." Jared scoffed, biting down on his jaw while he drove.

I stayed quiet. I honestly couldn't see Milo hitting on me at all. I ain't even KNOW Jared like that. He ain't KNOW me. Us getting to know each other meant nothing to me right now.

"I don't know about alla that Jared. It was probably just a coincidence. I'm sorry it happened and my bad for letting him stick around while it was only posed to be me and you. Could we please like...move on?" I asked.