Chapter Fifty-Eight

Groups' Reunion

Andrea's PoV

The sight of the stars are prettier here than the view back in my room. Nakakagaan sa pakiramdam ang hangin. I laid my back against the cold and subtle texture of the roof as I let out a deep sigh. Tinaas ko ang kanan kong kamay, forming it into a fist and I followed it with my gaze.

I had just escaped from that room where they were confining me, tinuturing nila akong kriminal—naiinis ako. Habang hinahanap ko ang tinatawag nilang 'Headmistress' which was supposed to be my mother, I stumbled upon that Headquarters. I closed my eyes remembering what I heard.

"Andrea is labelled as a threat to the island." I heard my mother saying habang mabilis akong nagtago sa likuran ng pintuan to hear it clearly. They're talking about me. "The Council, along with the other Saints, decided that the next time she's unable to control her mark," there was that brief pause. "We'll kill her."

"And you agreed to it? Ikaw na sarili niyang—"

"I don't have time to play the role of the Mother, Keila. I've got a country to rule, and people to protect."

My eyes grew wide. My fists were clenching so hard at baka masira ko lang ang pintuang ito. I calmed myself down nang may marinig akong mga tunog ng mga taong papunta dito. I immediately ran to the corner and hid behind the wall.

I opened my eyes then, sabay din ang pagbukas ng kamao ko. So they're going to kill me huh? Ni hindi ko nga alam kung ano ba talaga ang nangyari. Mas marami pa ang nalalaman nila tungkol sa sarili ko kaysa sa akin. Why don't they explain it to me? Confining me would do no good. Ayaw kong tinuturing nila na parang ako pa ang may kasalanan.

Right. Sa nangyari kay Keila, ako nga ang may kasalanan. I regret that more than anything else. Wala akong ideya kung ano ha talaga ang ginawa ko....at that moment...I felt huge power surging through my veins. I felt powerful. But then I lost sight of everything around me. Kasalanan ba ang maging malakas? Mabuti bang maging mahina? I need to become stronger in able to achieve my dream, to surpass my sister and my mother. I desire power, at kahit sa nag-iisang hiling kong yun, may pumipigil pa sa akin? This world is so unfair.

I sat up clenching my fists again.

I let out a bitter smile remembering what that woman said.

"I don't have time to play the role of a Mother, Keila. I've got a country to rule and people to protect."

Don't have time huh? Kailan ka ba nagkaroon ng oras para gumanap bilang isang ina? For once, never did I feel a mother's love. I chuckled at myself.

"For your mother, ang mga taong nasasakupan niya ay parang pamilya niya na. Kaya, gagawin niya ang lahat para sa pamilyang iyon." I could remember the smile on my father's face as he said those words to me with a bright face.

Back then, I replied to my father with my happiest smile, knowing I admired my mother more than I did. I worked harder than I did before to get her acknowledgement. I was proud and would happily brag to all the rest that the person ruling the North, one of the Four Saints, is my mother.

Pero hindi ko alam kung bakit nagbago ang lahat ng iyon. I failed to get my mother's acknowledgement, at siguro kahit anong gawin ko hindi niya yun napapansin. I never even saw her smile at me like she did when facing her people. Sila na hindi niya kadugo, sila na hindi niya totong pamilya, would exchange her own daughter, her own family—for them.