Chapter Forty-Two

Brewing Trouble

Both of my hands reached up to cup his face, there were lines of scratches from his forehead down to his neck, there were burn marks on the side of his cheek, and his eyes...there weren't anything in there but blackness, as though his eyeballs were carved out of him.

I let him go, dropping the mask; letting it make a silent thud on the wooden floor as I my fingers pressed my forehead. I couldn't take it. Something kept telling me that I needed to let this anger out...but I didn't know how. I squeezed my palm, returning my gaze to him but I ended up looking away...for there were no longer any eyes for me to meet. And I hated the sight of it. I despise the fact that I couldn't do anything about it.

"I'm asking you, Jarvis." I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. "Who...did that you?"

"Why?" He questioned as though it was the most puzzling thing he had ever heard. "Why are you so angry, Ke'ala?" He raised his hand, trying to get me into his reach, and he did. He caught me perfectly in his arms once again.

"Because I couldn't be there when you needed me to." I buried my head against his chest, wishing for more familiar warmth.

"I didn't want you to be there."

"I remember you wearing a mask when we last met."

"That time when Silverrium descended." He recalled, feeling me nod. "I healed your eye around that time."

"Why were you with the Black Clan?"

"I had no choice. I needed aurhority."

"By being one of the blacks?"

"Yes." He answered. I stepped back, my eyes still fixated on his blank stares. "I can't always be on your side forever, Ke'ala."

"I don't need you to be."

His hand graze just below my temple, as though trying to reminisce what I look like. There were a few strands of my hair that met his fingers, but he snuck passed by them as soon as his thumb brushed my lower lip. He let out a sigh, I knew it was dismay.

"Nararamdaman kong malaki ang pinagbago mo."

"All of us did."

"Hindi ko kailangan ng mga mata para malaman kung ano ang mukhang pinapakita mo ngayon." Ngumiti siya, pero pilit lamang ito. "Huwag kang malungkot, Ke'ala. Dahil nalulungkot din ako sa sitwasyon ko."

"Ano ang ginagawa mo dito?"

"Enchansia is known for its Black Market, the Black Clan owns thirty percent of businesses in here." Lumapit siya sa may lamesa at kinapa-kapa ito hanggang naabot niya ang drawer. May hinugot siya mula dito, isa itong scroll, katulad na lamang ng sa akin na ngayon ay hawak ni Celeztie. "The Clan needs money, and so do power. May mga tauhan din kami sa iba't ibang bansa. Malaki ang sakop ng Black Clan, at mas lumaganap pa ito nitong mga nakaraang taon."

"What do you need power and forces for?"

Nilapag niya ang nakabukas na scroll sa ibabaw ng mesa, medyo malayo man ako pero nakikita ko ito. Maraming mga itim na marka dito, nay mga pangalan din ang nakasulat pero mabilis din itong nawawala. They represent candidates who already died, and blacks dots reprsent those who will be soon. There are also red dots across the whole map terrain, they represent the places where the relics can be found.

"I think you know the answer to that." Mahina niyang sagot. "We're going to a war, Ke'ala."

"Is Exodus involve in this?"

"They have long been involved in this. The West Mages Association is on our side, and Exodus strengthening their own forces. The World's Organization...all races will come join the war, every living thing in this world is involved." He showed me a grin, and it made my skin crawl. "And once that organization is eliminated, that's where the real battle begins. The New World Order."