Chapter Forty-Nine

They Sprout From Greed

"The world was once one without spiritual energy, where humans used to struggle for their daily lives. Although despite the difficulty, they were united. There were no wars, no marked territories, and no one telling anyone what they should do or not do. Some renowned philosophers have stated one factor is that there is a huge lack of common knowledge. Personally, I think so too." Professor Trei said, discussing history. "Knowledge is a powerful weapon, sometimes having one drives you into doing things you never expected you could, things that you think it's for the best in which others may not see in the same manner."

I sighed, looking over the window outside where tall trees came into view. But I was suddenly brought back to my senses when Andrea who was sitting on the armchair beside me, pinched my arm which made me flinch. I glared at her, pero hindi niya naman nakikita dahil sa haba ng buhok ko. Napatingin ako sa unahan kung saan napansin ko na sa akin pala ang atensyon ng lahat. Pati si Iyana na kadalasan lang na natutulog sa klase ay nakatingin din sa akin. Kumunot ng noo ko pero wala akong sinabi. 

"Finally have your attention, Miss Willar." Wika ng Professor. "Why don't you tell us your personal thoughts regarding our topic? Why do those who lead always obsess  themselves with domination? Why must they go to war when they can have the option of peace?"

Inalis ko ang tingin sa kaniya at ibinalik ito sa labas ng bintana. May mga ibon akong nakikita, pero tsaka din naman sila lumipad palayo nang may dumaang agila sa itaas nila. "Hindi ko alam." Sagot ko na lamang. "But if it's a question I must answer then," kinuha ko ang ballpen sa lamesa ni Andrea, palagi kasi siyang nagta-take down notes. Walang sabi-sabing tinapon ko ito kay Iyana na saktong tumama sa noo niya. Napangiti ako sa reaksyon nito.

"What's the big idea?!" Naiinis nitong sigaw sabay tayo. 

"See my point? Peace only changes when it is being threatened." Sagot ko. Napailing na lamang si Andrea at kumuha ng isa pang ballpen sa lamesa naman ni Iyana, na kanina niya pa pinaglalaruan. "And people go to war to fight for something they don't have, to take something they couldn't." Tumingin ako kay Professor na parang sinusuri ang pagkatao ko. "You say it's all about knowledge, but I think it's because of greed. After all, people only pursue knowledge for the reason that they want to rank above others, because they want to quench their curiosities, because they want to satisfy themselves. If that isn't greed, then I don't seriously know what you call it."

I opened my eyes and found them all looking at me. It made me chuckle sensing their displeasure about my sudden appearance. All the others have their weapons clanging on the floor, completely taken aback. My gaze went to the leaders and representatives of their own group. This is the first time I saw most of them, and reactions are quite amusing. 

"Hello." I said, my lips drawing a smile as they all stared at me.

"Caelesti of the Unknown! Pleasure to finally meet you." The Exodus guy stepped towards me, bending his body a little forward as he offered his hand. "I am Cesz, the Third End." 

I took his hand as his lips met the surface of mine before pulling back. Despite his mask, I could perfectly see his green eyes glistening against my pale blue ones. He took another step forward, and there was something about the way he looks at me that made me feel something--he's channeling his energy for some reason. Emotions surged up inside of me, it was heavy and made me feel cold. I smiled, taking his challenge. I leaned myself closer to the point that our faces were only inches apart. 

"Emotions are my domain, Third End." I whispered, making him smile. "You can't beat me in my own territory." 

He chuckled, moving back. "Of course," his eyes began to glow in bright green then. "But you should dodge."