Chapter Forty-Seven

Why Do Monsters Never Repent?

The world is a vast place. One will never truly know how other people go on with their lives, they can only focus on each of their own reach. But sometimes, it amazes me how despite living in different continents, countries, kingdoms...there is always called that majority that will lead most people into a belief, uniting despite living different lives, in different places. When they write fairy tales, heroes will always prevail in the end--they always do so for children like it that way, because it'd be one of the only few things that could distract their innocence from how cruel reality actually goes. 

I found myself thinking such wonders as I stare at a rack of books hid behind a transparent glass, the name "Children's Bookstore" engraved just above the arching door beside me. But the whole building was close to a ruin, leaving only two wooden pillars from both sides to support the whole ceiling. It was the same for the rest of the chained buildings. Along with the large boulders of rocks blocking the cracked roads, some dead corpses were lined up beside the streets; their bodies being covered cloths, and there were some crying on the corner. 

Leomer Empire was a thriving continent. Many people would come from different nations to start a new life in this place, and among those places, the Capitol was the one shining with fortune and money. But all that's left were ruined buildings, dead bodies, and lost people not knowing what to do. Most of them were innocent, unaware of how everything actually seemed to be. All the illusions on the entire continent disappeared, and it was accompanied by a total destruction. May it be economy, their industry, agriculture...everything vanished in an instant the moment I beheaded their Emperor. 

"Don't mess with me, bastard!" 

I looked over my right, seeing two groups of people having an argument. Some wore noble clothes, while some wore commoner ones. Their Empire fell, which means money and power won't really matter in this place anymore. They could still seek refugee to other countries, but I doubt it'd be all that easy especially that the New World Order is brewing. In other words, they have nowhere to run to. 

"Do not act high and mighty! The Empire has fallen, our Emperor might even be dead, and the Officials have abandoned us! We are all going to die here whether you like it or not."

"The rations of foods won't last. Imagine what other cities are experiencing now."

"They will probably march here in Capitol to seek help, but we have no way of helping them!"

"Which Kingdom attacked?"

"Surviving soldiers said that the Empire even allied with Zyrendel to fend off the attacks upon the Emperor's order, but the enemy is obviously far stronger. There are only less than a hundred soldiers left stationed here in the Capitol, we have no way of defending ourselves."

"Other countries might use this as an opportunity to overtake Leomer."

The argument and discussions continued on, but I couldn't bear to listen for my eyes drifted to a boy holding a newspaper. But that wasn't what attracted my attention, it was the headline for an article he was reading, along with an image. I covered my head securely with my cloak as I started walking deeper down the alleyway. I could see several people just sitting around, while there are those resorting to stealing in order to get by.

I saw a familiar figure leaning over the wall at the end, but I stopped before getting close. She was closing her eyes, both arms crossed in front of her. I knew she felt my presence, but she made no effort making that obvious. Until she finally sighed and threw something over my direction. I caught the crumpled paper, still looking at her. I opened what I had in hand, a wanted poster immediately catching my eyes, but it didn't truly bother me.