Chapter Thirty-Six

The Scope of Trust Cannot Go Further Beyond Unknown

I wonder when did the sight of blood became this much common for me. I had asked the same question before, not once—but a lot of times. And as each question grew more deeper, the more I couldn't bring myself to remember the exact moment somebody else's blood became so familiar to me.

Just the thought of murdering someone used to disgust me, saying that however evil a person may be, nobody deserves death. I told Thane those same words when I was just starting at the Academy, and I probably hurt his pride by saying so. I couldn't understand why humans resort to death if they cannot put a solution to something. But I now realize that was naive of me—stupid even.

Every living things deserve to die, whether they're evil or not, young or old. Because that is just how this world works, nothing can be done against such a law; not even those Gods out there. Humans resort to murder because any more would drive them insane, killing means that they are backed in a dark corner where they could never escape unless they end that problem. And that is death.

While there are those kinds who'd kill just for fun, convenient, thrill, or even just for no reason at all. Exactly because of different people's personalities, experiences, circumstances, and emotions, that this world is entertaining despite being so naturally cruel.

I used to be young, naive, sheltered, and thought everything would go as I think it should, that everything revolves around my decisions and actions. I didn't realize then how weak that made me, how pathetic I must have looked like trying to act cool, a hero.

I'm not saying being weak is some form of a weakness, however, staying one is.  And I didn't want that. But I didn't have that desire to become all that powerful as well, I was contented at what I was and didn't ask for more.

There must have been times I wished I'd become stronger, but as I have mentioned before, strength and power are two different things. One having the courage to step right up, to move on while still being the same, and the other having the desire to dominate everything, to abandon what you are to become something else that fits your character.

Many may say they're still the same in the end, but that's just because they haven't been to that point where they could distinguish the difference. I wonder when I'll reach that point myself, or perhaps I've already did. Though, who knows?

"Isn't this sight somehow comforting, Felix the Light Bearer?" I asked, looking down at his body underneath me; now covered in existing wounds, bathed in blood, and even smell like a living corpse.

My gaze wandered back to the scenery before me. It made me reminisce that time where my surroundings suddenly changed, how I saw myself as Caelesti. When my vision was filled with nothing but blood littering almost everywhere, dead soldiers being ravished by packs of hungry ravens, and weapons being scattered for they were no longer of any use.