A Heart That Can't Be Reached

The sound of the the waters flowing adrift passed by the rocks, breaking as the liquid penetrated every inches of their solid crevices, dominated our surroundings. Cold wind then crowded the air, and as I sat beside this riverbank, I couldn't help but stare at Caelesti's figure as she sank her lower body down that icy cold waters.

She said she was cooling herself down, I don't know why she does so with her clothes on though. But as the sunset behind her started ageing, the dark-pitched skies have grown quiet with lights reflecting on her delicate body. Opening her eyes, she returned my gaze.

"Do you have a habit of swimming with your clothes on?" I asked.

"Then would you rather be watched naked?" I got flustered by her reply.

"Of course not!" She smiled and finally, walked out to the surface.

Inabot ko sa kaniya ang mahabang puting towel na pinadala niya kanina tapos ay inikot ito sa likuran niya. Bigla na lamang ako napapikit sa dumaang hangin, tumayo ang balahibo ko dahil sa lamig. Nang nagsimula na siyang maglakad pabalik sa kung saan kami nanggaling kanina, ay tumayo narin ako mula sa kinauupuan ko while dusting off the dirt from my clothes.

"Ano na ngayon ang pinaplano mo? You don't usually stay here for so long. Why do I feel like something's going to happen soon?" Matagal na kasi siyang pumupunta dito, every single morning, pero ngayon ko lang naisipang sumama sa kaniya.

"You're not wrong in that part." The ground she passes by leaves small traces of her wet feet. The trees around us were all burned to cinders, the only thing actually pleasant to watch is that river behind us. "And don't you know? Today marks the fourth year of my imprisonment in this island. Time flows differently and much slower in this place, so I don't know how long have I been here outside."

"Ilang taon ka na ngaba?"

"You're asking that huh? Well I'm not sure. I told you, time flows much slower in here. It feels like it's been only three years, but on the outside, perhaps seven or eight?" Hindi agad ako nakasalita dahil sa sinabi niya.

Seven or eight years? I can't imagine myself living a life here without anything to do. That would explain kung bakit parang iba ang buong isla na ito simula unang beses ko palang umapak sa lugar na ito. Hindi ba siya nahihirapan dito? Hindi din ba siya napapagod maging isang masamang tao? Ni minsan ba...sinubukan din ba niyang tumakas mula dito?

Mávro Isle is a private island found at the edge of the world. Hindi madaling mahanap ang lugar na ito, at kahit mahanap man nila ay wala din naman silang makukuha dito. Like from what I see, everything here looks dead. Walang mga halaman o iisang punongkahoy man lamang. Marami ang nga sira-sirang buildings sa iba't ibang parte ng isla. Wala din akong nakikitang ibang tao dito kung hindi si Caelesti lang at ang mga kasamahan niya.

In other words, this whole island is a prison. Once someone steps inside, they could never get out. Once someone is lost, they would never be found. And once someone is trapped, they could never escape. This place is like a whole dimension of darkness and gried intended for those inside.

Caelesti's subordinates can get outside dahil hindi naman sila ang kinululong dito. Blacks could breach inside and could still find their way out dahil hindi sila nararapat dito. Because Mávro Isle is a home for those who has been casted away by the whole world, a prison, an isolated place.

Sa buong mundong ito, ang lugar na ito lamang ang makakayang ikulong at itago si Caelesti. She will never be able to see the outside world. Nor will she be able to know more people, because for her, the people who hurt her in the past are enough. She doesn't need anyone else.