Chapter Eighty-Six

A New Game Was Already Starting

"Engagement with whom?" Nagulat sila nang nakita nila ako dito sa tabi, and with the question, they remained looking at my direction as I walk towards them.

"Are you eavesdropping?" Iyana asked annoyed that I get to hear about it too.

"In a sense, yes."

"Never mind that, so Iyana kay sino ka ipapakasal?"

"Shut it Andrea. Hindi pa ako ipapakasal okay? It's just another stupid engagement."

"At matagal na tayong nagsasama hindi ko alam na may minamahal ka pala Iyana. It came off as a surprise." Seriously, that's so not Iyana at all. Ano ba ang nangyayari? And she just glared at me dahil sa sinabi ko.

"Tss. It's a political marriage stupid." And who is she calling stupid now? But it just shows that she's not pleased by the idea. At political marriage?

"Ano ba ang ibig mong sabihin sa political marriage na sinasabi mo?" Sabay lang nila akong dalawa tinignan.

"Seriously? Saang banda ng mundo ka ba nanggaling na kahit political marriage lang wala kang alam? And here I thought you're actually a genius." Andrea asked in disbelief. And genius? Siya lang ang nag-iisip ng ganoon. "Kahit sinong tao alam na normal lang ang political marriage. It's a way for nobles and other aristocrats to form connections with other family to gain more political power, and also to make the family stronger."

"Ah so it's all about social rankings and reputations." I sighed. Hindi ko alam na may mga ganito palang nangyayari sa mundong ito. So it's normal for noble families? "So it's like an offering of some sort in order to acquire power."

"You really have a twisted mind if you put it that way but you have a point, parang ganoon nga." Sabi ni Iyana.

"You seem rather displeased about the idea though."

"Well of course I am! Naiinis ako. Remember the Captain of the first squadron of Knights?" Ah Captain Aric Verto, there's no way I'd forget that man.

"Wait, you mean he's the man your engaged to?!" Hindi makapaniwalang salita ni Andrea which made Iyana intentionally stepped on her foot. "Argh! Ano ba?!"

"It's annoying how you always jump into conclusions! Hindi siya. He gave me a letter that time back at the tent na galing mismo sa ama ko." So even the Klein has connections with the Captain of the first squadron of Knights. That family is cannot be underestimated.

"The letter says that I absolutely must return safely and immediately to discuss my engagement. There are three candidates for my marriage and I was told to get to know them when I was a child. But due to many things going on I never had any chances of meeting them. Kaya akala ko hindi na matutuloy ang engagement pero dapat ay inasahan ko na hindi ganoon kadali ang iniisip ko."

"Simula bata ka pa? At hindi ba at 16 ka palang?" Tanong ko.

"Engagements for nobles always start at a young age for both persons to get to know each other. And it is expected for both to get married right after finishing the two-year quest." Andrea answered. Ah right, after four years of high school in the Academy, may dalawang taon pa na quest na dapat tapusin ng mga undergraduate students. In other words, around 21 or 22 years old. Isn't that too young?

"It is done so para malaman kung gaano kalaki ang achievements na makukuha ng isang tao pagtapos ng quest that may possibly help the the family's reputation." Dagdag niya. So it is indeed a game of social rankings after all, to make sure the future is set for both families.