Chapter Forty-One

For There Were None

I groaned, feeling my head hit something hard as my surroundings slowly shook. My back was laying on something smooth yet my body was sore as though I got slammed unto a wall. My neck was stiff, preventing me from twisting it around like I usually do every time I wake up. I opened my eyes, realizing that a cloth was patched around my head, covering down my left eyesight; it was throbbing. I reluctantly unwrapped the cloth, feeling uncomfortable.

The sun was up high when I glanced on those clear skies, and as I sat up, I found myself sitting on a carriage; surrounded by small wooden boxes and other sealed items covered by a cloth. In front of me was a wooden plank nailed on each sides, serving as a railing or some sort as for the items stored in here not to fall.

According to view outside, our path was subtle for the ground was filled with small pebbles, sometimes stones big enough to shake the ride off balance, and both sides of this run-down road were already woods. I didn't know where I was, but I keep sensing unique energy flow through the air. But I just knew I've felt them somewhere before.

My memory was hazy, clouded—that when I try to think about how I ended up here, very few scenarios would come up and disappear a second after I try to get ahold of them. So rather than forcing myself, I turned my body around; seeing a black curtain hindering my remaining vision.

Behind this curtain, I could hear the hooves of horses making a sound against the ground and a female voice, talking so cheerfully with her tone going up and down. I figured it was somebody I know when I moved the curtain aside, Finé's back was on me for she was taking over the two horses' reigns.

"See? I told you there was seventy-eight percent she'll wake up today!" She exclaimed, glancing at the Dragonborn seated beside her. The latter just nodded before looking at me.

"Alright?" She titled her head in question. I just nodded as an answer. She was wearing a brown cloak now, just like Finé.

"I need details, Finé."

"Ah about that," she grabbed something out of her cloak's inside pockets. It was a flyer, folded into four parts. I took the paper and unfolded it myself, and I can't help but scoffed at what I'm seeing.

"Caelesti of the Unknown? So I have a wanted poster going around now?" I chuckled, I knew it wasn't the time for that but it was amusing. "So, what did I exactly do enough for my candidacy name to spread?"

"First thing's first, you've been out cold for two weeks now. That chant drained all your spiritual energy to turn those priests into monsters. In other words, you were used as a catalyst. You've been using your life force directly without you even realizing it and that drove you to the point of extreme exhaustion enough for you to fall into a short-term comatose."

"Two weeks still isn't a short-term."

"Well, that's the front of it. Don't forget about that massive monster that you released in the middle of the forest. People had enough worries about those weird monsters attacking them and then they had that thing to worry about. Do you get what I mean?"

"I was angry, there was no way out of it."

"There was a way out of it but you weren't in any right mind to think of any. Because of that, you dug a grave for yourself. I don't know how, but the World's Organization winded up hearing about my betrayel, your Overseer's, and the fact that we have the Dragonborn over a short period of time."