Chapter Fifty-Nine

On the Journey Beyond the Edge of Sanity

The night was streaming, accompanied by the heat that spoiled the plunging gusts of wind. Cinders burned through the air, weaving its own ensemble that marked yet another ending. Sharp roars resounded like echoes of building turmoils against my ears, the clashing tone of weapons boring determination racked my senses into another wave of energy. Stars were barely seen shining above, hindered by the rising fire that curtained the barren terrains.

Memories assaulted my mind then. The illusions of my own existence that brought me to where I am now, the pretence of fate pushing me to death--all of it made me question reality. Before Ke'ala Feyree, before I became Caelesti of the Unknown, before all those names that probed my wills as appearances--who was I really? Looking at everything now, at all of them...is this why I've always felt secluded despite being directly involved?

My short time in Zelestia, the Dwelling of the Gods, finally made me realize that I am indeed special. Not because I was born as a Cursed Blood, nor because I am known as Caelesti of the Unknown. But because my existence was predetermined. Because I was needed to be born, to go through the process of birth and death. It just simply so happened that such fate was granted to me, a life of suffering, all for sake of something only I can do.

Yet even I do not understand that. I knew I am more than the names I was given with. I knew I could become something the world cannot even fathom. But I am tired. What more do I have to deal with? Rather than complain though, I just honestly want to finish everything. Then I shall disappear. To somewhere not even fate would define what I must do. It was freedom. It was peace.

Light morphed in dozens of huge energy balls floated around me. Amaterasu, the Goddess who domains over the sun, despite being converted into a pulsing pain that ransacked her body--was able to deflect my attacks by absorbing them. I was only able to create the light balls because it came from her anyway. The action did not surprise me knowing it was basically the source of her power. She was also able to regain her normal condition as another layer of energy wrapped all over her body, the pain disappearing in an instant.

Cernunnos looked more revolted than ever. Horns protruded over his head, curving forward. Eyes were turning dark along with his skin peeling itself from his flesh. His face slowly evolved into something visually disturbing. He grew bigger, his size reminded me of an orc but the image of his humanity became a beast with his head convulsed into an elongated skull. Fangs grew from his toothless mouth, opening it slightly to release a steaming breath.

"To threaten a god..." He took his steps, the clouds moving away every time he did so. "Your time of breathing is over, mortal."

He swung his arm, claws barely making their way over my chest had I not backed away. Their existence surrounding me alone is intimidating, it opened a sense od fear that revealed itself at the corner most of my mind. Strange, instead of cowering though, there was that part inside of me that wanted to see what these 'Gods' can do. I could not ignore the way my hands continued to tremble, still--I felt challenged.

And there I was. A mere mortal facing three Celtic Gods who I knew were very much capable of eradicating my entire existence. But then again, I began to truly wonder if they could indeed kill Caelesti of the Unknown the outside world which wished for nothing but such. Then came the attack that arrived as sudden as the moment the cool wind rustled my dark hair behind. Sharp claws reached my side that caught up to me when I tried avoiding it. It created five open slashes at the left of my stomach, deep enough that I could feel the pain that gauged out my blood, even more so whenever air hit the wounds.