(2) Picked Up a Beautiful Male and Carried Him Home

The third day after arriving in ancient times, Chu Qing-Yan finally understood the meaning to things received on paper always feel shallow (1). She realized that this matter, she must personally undertake.

It's good that she had ideas, but putting it into action was very difficult.

What crossbreeding for rice paddy. What fertilizer as king. What construction business to be rich. Keep daydreaming!

Originally, she thought that relying on her hands to be rich would be an easy matter, but looking at her hands that, because of long-term malnutrition, couldn't even truss a chicken, Chu Qing-Yan felt very much defeated.

Without the conditions, without money, even feeding the stomach was a problem.

Chu Qing-Yan rubbed her stomach, she seemed to be hungry again. There was almost no food left to cook at home. Everyday, able to drink a bowl of gruel with several grains of rice was already considered pretty good. With only four bare walls for a home, their degree of poverty had already exceeded her imagination.

Just when Chu Qing-Yan was heaving deep sighs, a round, dirty steamed bun appeared in front of her. She stared blankly, then couldn't help but follow that steamed bun to look up. She only saw her father smiling brilliantly like sunshine, looking at her in a manner of trying to win her favor.

"Daddy, where did you get this from?" In the next instant, Chu Qing-Yan's heart tightened. Could it be that Daddy had once again snatched someone else's things!

One couldn't blame Chu Qing-Yan for thinking this way. Within these three days, everyday, she had followed behind her daddy to clean up his messes. If it wasn't bumping into the clothing rack of the family in the west, then it was chasing after the landlord's dog. Her pitiful wounds still hadn't healed, and she had to follow him, wandering about the entire village. At all times, she stood guard at her dad's side, otherwise, the money Mom made from washing other people's laundry wasn't even enough to pay out in compensation.

Daddy Chu smiled mischievously, "Aunty Guo (2) gave it to me."

He would never have told Cai Cai that this was the result of him clinging to that family's kitchen, begging for it. Otherwise, Cai Cai would definitely get angry!

Chu Qing-Yan looked at the steamed bun that she didn't know had rolled how many times on the ground. A warmth rushed up, spreading through her heart. She raised her head to ask, "Then, has Daddy eaten?"

"Ate one already." Daddy Chu looked at her, swallowing a mouthful of saliva. Afterwards, he turned his head away to hum genuinely.

With just one glance, Chu Qing-Yan knew, Daddy was reluctant to eat it and gave it to her. With tears, she accepted it from him, after which she broke the steamed bun into two halves, "Daddy, for you."

Daddy Chu, with great joy, accepted it and took a big bite out of it.

Chu Qing-Yan, seeing this, also took a bite, no matter how dirty this steamed bun was, when eating it, she could still detect traces of sweetness in her mouth.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, her dad, no matter if it was in the modern world or the foolish him right now, had never forgotten to be concerned about her and to care for her.

After sharing the steamed bun, her body had a little bit of strength. Consequently, Chu Qing-Yan patted away the dust on her body, then said to her dad, "Mother went to do stuff, the two of us should go up the mountain to pick up some firewood!"

This was something she thought of just now that could relieve Mother of some of her burdens.

Seeing Daddy jumping and skipping along up ahead while gesturing for joy, Chu Qing-Yan smilingly carried the bamboo basket on her back. She thought to herself that maybe, her luck would be good and she could dig up some wild vegetables and mushrooms. Then, there would be something to cook for tonight's dinner.