(69) You Don't Understand a Child's Thoughts

Amidst the billows of dust and smoke, that person rushed over with a whip raised. Though the silver mask made his expression unreadable, she still faintly saw a hint of worry through that pair of gloomy eyes.

As if he had walked in the desert for too long and suddenly saw an oasis, or drifting in the vast sea and suddenly saw a lone boat float by.

Emotional attachment and lingering fear. At this moment, these emotions flooded the heart.

But as if she thought of something, her mouth pursed and she turned her head away, unwilling to look at him.

The person on top of the horse saw her safe and sound standing there, and his heart that had been suspended all along was finally set down. Immediately he vaulted down, all in one go, and with quick steps he walked to stand in front of her. His eyes had already passed by the horse's wound as well as the city wall that was within reach. With this glance, he could already see the urgency of the situation at that time. He lowered his head to look at the person in front of him and couldn't help but caress her head. "Are you injured?"

Chu Qing-Yan stubbornly pressed down on her temper and didn't respond. She kept her head down and fiddled with her own fingers.

Xiao Xu didn't know what she was being difficult about, he usually lacked patience and what he had were all used on her. So seeing her perfectly safe, yet throwing a temper, his brows knitted and was about to berate her.

But his sharp eyes saw one then two pea sized teardrops fall on the back of her intertwined hands. In an instant, like a blooming flower it splashed onto the ground and was buried into the dirt as specks of darker color.

Xiao Xu was slightly stunned, it wasn't that he hadn't seen people cry before. On the battlefield, the guys would cry tears when not far from life or death. With no regrets, the tears would turn into smoke after the event. The weak, the old, the women and children would cry from their lungs or sob in despair or wail in fear. However, this was the first time he saw her cry, he panicked slightly, not because he hadn't seen her tears before, but perhaps because it was the first time he had seen such a strong person cry, as if the whole world had abandoned her.

Sadness penetrated her heart, Chu Qing-Yan lifted her hand and wiped away the tears on her face; but the more she wiped, the more there were, finally, she just gave up.

Xiao Xu didn't know where to start to comfort her. Before, those aids and officials hadn't written down anything on how to deal with this kind of situation. In the end, stemming from instincts, his long arm extended out, pulling her into his embrace, imitating how those mothers would pacify their children, lightly patting her back.

He didn't think that this hug would let Chu Qing-Yan find a gateway to give vent to her feelings, her tears over flowed like river water, dampening more than half of his lapel.

He originally thought that she would calm down from his comfort but unexpectedly, it was completely the opposite. He had always been in control of the situations, a person in the position of power. This was the first time he faced such a delicate child and was actually at a loss as to what to do.

"Perhaps Female Benefactor has been scared. After returning and drinking some medicine to calm the nerves, she should be fine." The white-clothed monk suggested with palms together in prayer.

Only now did Xiao Xu finally notice the person before him, although he was holding Chu Qing-Yan, he did not feel this was awkward. His cold and cheerless gaze looked at him. "Great Master Xu Xian, I trust you have been well since we last met."

"Your Highness Prince Ying, you have been well these past few days?" Xu Xian wasn't discontent because he was ignored by the other party just now, his complexion still remained free and outstanding.