Welcome to Hell

Virgil POV

"COME BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT!" Screamed my father as I beelined out the front door. I heard a bottle smash against the wall right as I slammed the door shut.

I ran down to the road and sprinted towards school. It could be the running, but most likely the impending panic attack that was creeping up on me, but my heart was racing and I could barely breath.

Once I neared the school, I slowed down a bit. I stopped and collapsed underneath a tree on the front lawn of the school.

Other students milled around me, talking and laughing. Not having a care in the world.

I sighed deeply, tying to calm down. I was still shaking pretty badly. No one payed any attention to me. Probably because lots of couples were making out and talking under other trees.

I looked around me, trying to ground myself. Eventually, I stopped shaking. Deep breaths. I can feel the tree I'm leaning against, I can see the other students. It's okay. I'm okay.

It's not like I wasn't used to being screamed at while I was home, but it never happened in the morning before school. I should be thankful it was just screaming and it didn't get physical this time.

I stood up and swung my bookbag back over my shoulder. I headed towards the front doors of the school.

I pulled my headphones out of my jacket and put them on. I turned on Teenagers by My Chemical Romance. I flipped the hood of my hoodie up over my head as the lyrics blasted into my ears.

I made my way through the crowd of people, hoping to not catch anyone's attention on the way to my locker.

I made it, thankfully, to my locker without being noticed. As long as I blended in, nobody would pick on me. They wouldn't laugh or mock me or hurt me. I was only a month or so into senior year. I had one more school year and than I could get out of this place.

I opened my locker and shoved my bookbag in it. I started pulling out books for first period when a commotion down the hall drew my attention.

And there he was.

Roman King. Possibly the most popular guy in our entire school. Quarterback of the football team and also considered the best actor and singer in our entire school.

He was standing at his locker down the hallway, his posse of brainless jocks surrounding him. On his arm was yet another chick. Different from the last week, but still of the same breed. Popular petty girls.

I didn't know what to think of him. He isn't mean like his friends, but he basically runs the school so there's no way he would be my friend. Also his friends pick on me and treat me like shit.

He was goofing around with his friends. All of them laughing and having fun. I wish I had friends. Or just anyone I could talk to.

I shut my locker and headed away from the popular group. I turned to head up the stairs but a voice stopped me in my tracks and made my anxiety jump.

"Where do you think your going freak?" Sneered a voice. I turned to see Jackson, one of Roman's best friends and surprise, surprise, my full time bully.

He grabbed the back of my hoodie and made me look at him. He smirked, looking at how much I was shaking.

He pushed me down and kicked all my books out of my hand, scattering all my papers. I heard people laughing. Jackson leaned down and put his hand on the back of my neck.

"I've got a special surprise for you after school." He hissed in my ear. He stood up and walked away.

As quickly as I could, I scrambled to my feet and gathered all my papers and books. I ran to first period, slightly fearing for my life.

I walked into the classroom and and took my usual seat in the back corner of the room by the window.

I tried my best to fix all my papers and reorganize them. Not like they were organized in the first place, but at least I knew where things were.

I zoned out as the bell rang and the teacher started the lesson.

-•-

Shakily, I walked into the cafeteria. I hated this place with a burning passion. Nowhere to hide from all the stares. And with no friends or clique to be apart of, I often fell victim to even more bullying here.

I walked over to the small table in the corner. I pulled my headphones back on and blasted Green Day.

I didn't eat anything. Didn't have money to buy lunch, didn't have loving parents who made sure I had a lunch to bring to school, and honestly I was too depressed to eat. Not like I needed the food, fatass that I am.

I looked up as I heard loud laughing. And there he was again. Roman was standing on one of the table and singing some song from some musical with a some of his friends.

"Pardon me, are you Aaron Burr, sir?" Sang Roman.

"That's depends who's asking?" One of his musical friends sang back.

"Oh, sure, sir, I'm Alexander Hamilton, I'm at your service sir," Roman sang, he looked like he was going to continue but a teacher interrupted them. Wait-no, that's the principle.

"Roman King! Thomas Sanders!" Screamed Principle Williams. "Get down right now!"

The two friends looked at each other and than got down, laughing their asses off. Principle Williams marched over to Roman and Thomas.

I laughed quietly as their misfortune. Most likely getting detentions now. The bell rang, finally signaling the end of lunch. Hallelujah.

-•-

My anxiety was rising the closer and closer I got to the end of the day. I stared at the clock, willing it to not turn to 3:00.

The bell rang, causing my heart to jump. My breathing sped up. I had no clue what Jackson has planned for me. Probably something humiliating and painful.

I ran out of the classroom and to my locker. I quickly grabbed my bookbag and pulled my homework into the bag.

I tried to blend in as I made my way to the main doors. I just need to get outside. Than I can make a run for it. Not that home was any safer, but at least it wasn't school with Jackson.

"Hello emo trash..." Purred Jackson's voice from behind me.