Making out in the forest

Virgil POV

Roman pulled me along with him as we ran.  I could hear Jackson and all his buddies chasing after us. 

Based on how exhausted I was just from running to the back of the school and how I could barely breath from the oncoming panic attack, I greatly feared I would pass out. 

The two of us ran across the track and than the practice football field.  Roman held tightly onto my hand, every now and than looking back to make sure I was still with him. 

I tried to keep up with him.  But my hoodie was pulling me down in the heat of the sunlight and I could barely breath at this point. 

"Come back here!"  I heard Jackson yell.  Roman tightened his grip on my hand and looked back.  I could tell by the look on his face that they were gaining on us. 

We reached the other side of the field.  Roman let go of my hand and sprinted forwards.  Fear jolted through my body. 

"Roman no...wait!"  I gasped out, reaching for him.  He unhooked a gate in the chain link fence that surrounded the track. 

He turned back and grabbed me by my forearms.  He pulled me through the gate and quickly slammed it shut.  He locked it and dropped the key away from the fence, buying us some time. 

"Come on, we gotta hide in the woods."  He said, panting heavily.  He grabbed my hand and than we were running again. 

I could hear Jackson screaming for us to come back.  The fence was rattling.  The sound echoed through my skull, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut to block out of the sound. 

Because I couldn't see where I was going, I tripped over a tree root.

I fell face forward, pulling Roman down on top of me.  I grunted as pain blossomed in my hand. 

"Are you okay?"  Roman asked, pushing himself off me.  I nodded, shaking my hand to regain feeling in it. 

He helped me to my feet, brushing dirt off my hoodie.  I was still shaking pretty badly and I still could barely breath.  My breaths were coming in short sporadic gasps and all I wanted to do was curl in on myself. 

"I'M COMING FOR YOU FREAKS!"  Screeched Jackson's voice from the edge of the woods.  There were more screams of excitement after he said that. 

I flinched heavily, wrapping my arms around myself.  Roman grabbed my arm and pulled me farther into the woods with him. 

I stumbled a few times, barely able to see past my own two feet as my vision became clouded with tears. 

"Here,"  Said Roman, stopping suddenly.  "Quickly, get in the tree, before they catch up with us." 

I nodded and quickly climbed up the tree.  I hate heights but I would often hide in the trees in my backyard as a way to hide from my dad. 

I curled up in a crook between the trunk and two large branches.  I looked down to see Roman following me up the tree. 

I shivered as Roman climbed up and sat next to me on the branch.  He pushed up against me and stayed quiet. 

We both watched the ground in horrified silence, waiting for Jackson to come running by and see us up here.  We're sitting ducks up here in this tree. 

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!"  Called Jackson's voice from below.  I flinched and curled up even tighter.  Roman protectively put his arm around me. 

"I know you're here somewhere you faggots."  Called Jackson.  I watched with wide eyes as Jackson walked right beneath the tree Roman and I we're sitting in.