In which everything gets worse

Virgil POV

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. I survived the weekend. Thank god.

I turned and shut off my alarm clock. Now to just make my way to school, without waking up my parents.

I heard a gentle meow. I raised my head to see my cat sitting on my piano. I smiled gently, watching as she pawed at the air and meowed at me.

"Morning Luna." I said gently. She was stray that I found one day. She was just a tiny kitten the day I found her as the edge of the woods.

I just stumbled upon her and I couldn't just leave her there. But my parents would never allow me to have a cat. So I kept her my room and out of sight of my parents.

It was now almost two years since I've found her, making her about a year and a half years old now. Luna jumped off the piano and onto my bed.

She walked over to me and nuzzled her face against my cheek. She purred as I pet her. She had black fur with a few little brown and white splotches here and there. She had one blue eye and one green eye.

I pulled myself out of bed. I quickly changed out of my pajamas. I pulled on my ripped black skinny jeans, my Green Day shirt, a black flannel, and a beanie. I pulled on my combat boots and tried to fix my hair. I looked in the mirror and put on my foundation and than my eyeliner.

Luna mewed again, pawing at my legs. I hated having to leave her here. I always feared my dad would find her in here and take her from me.

I ignored for the time being and dug around my desk drawer. The container rattled as I grabbed at what I was looking for.

Back before high school, right when everything went to shit in my life, both my mom and I were put into therapy.

I was supposed to take depression pills, but I never did. I just stored them away and added to the stash every week when I get the bottles refilled.

Nowadays I live off these pills. When I run out, I just steal mom's depression pills. My hands were shaking a bit as I opened the container.

I shook about five or six pills out into my palm. I grabbed the bottle of water on my desk and quickly downed all the pills.

I let out a sigh and hid the pill bottle. Luna sat down on the desk. She looked at me with that look that said she knew what I was doing. Like she knew how self destructive this was.

I gave her a pet and than turned away from her. I grabbed my bookbag off the floor.

I opened my door and took a deep breath. I peeked my head out the door to make sure no one was in the hallway.

I crept out of my room and down the stairs. Dad was sprawled out on the couch, surrounded by beer cans. I quickly headed past him to the front door.

I shut the front door with a sigh of relief. I made it out.

I quickly headed towards the school, hoping the rest of the day would also go off without a hitch.

-•-

I entered the school building, getting more stares than usual. This put me on edge.

I knew they were talking about me, even thought I was blasting MCR in my headphones.

I pushed past people, trying to get to my locker. Every time people saw me, they either laughed or gave me sympathetic glances.

I reached my locker, only to stop dead in my tracks. My heart sped up and I felt an oncoming panic attack.