Suspended

Melina POV:

"Dad that's totally not fair!" I said following Ben around the kitchen. I didn't care if this argument was going to make me late for school, I was going to win. Carmen sat the counter trying to back me up but also trying to finish her bowl of cereal because she woke up late.

"Do you really think after all the shit you two pulled this year that you deserve a huge birthday party?" Ben asked.

"Yes!" Carmen and I both protested. This debate had been going on for the past 10 minutes and we were getting nowhere.

"This really is entertaining. HOLD YOUR GROUND BEN!" Lucas laughed from the couch.

"Shut it!" Carmen and I screamed at him.

"Dad come on! It's our 17th!" I said.

"Josh!" Carmen said as she saw him running down the stairs. He froze right in his place and his eyes went wide. "Don't you think Ben should allow us to have a birthday party!"

"I just wanted to get some food." Josh said, still not moving.

"All the magazines are talking about it already, it's set to be one of the biggest parties of the year for under 21!" I said.

"Oh the poor party girl." Lucas said flipping through a magazine that had been on the table.

"It's like you're asking me to punch you in the face right now." I said to him.

"Ah yes that's the perfect thing for me to hear when you're trying to convince me you deserve a party." Ben said rolling his eyes. He went to open the fridge and I ran in front of it, blocking his way.

"A girl only turns 17 once dad."

"Would you look at that, she knows how age works." Lucas joked.

"That's it you're dead!" I screamed. Lucas jumped so he was standing on the couch and Josh sprinted down the stairs and over to me as I tried to push past Ben.

"Not happening." Josh said as he lifted me up over his shoulder so I couldn't get to Lucas.

"Your daughter is insane Ben!" Lucas laughed. I punched josh's back and kicked my legs as he continued to hold a tight grip on me.

"Put me down Joshua!" I screamed.

"Are you going to hurt Lucas if I do?" Josh asked. I stopped punching and kicking and thought about it for a moment.

"I'm gonna say no but I wouldn't trust me." I shrugged. "I hate this." I said going completely limp and stopped fighting it.

"You know one day I'm going to come down into this kitchen and world war 3 won't be happening." Jordyn laughed coming down the stairs.

"Mom, Ben is saying we can't have a 17th birthday party!" Carmen said.

"What does it even matter? It's just one party." Lucas said.

"So why do you two think you deserve a birthday party?" Jordyn asked.

"Oh no, he's got Jordyn on his side. We're doomed." I said as I still hung over Josh's shoulder.

"Listen, you turn 17 in a month and a half. If you can prove to us by then that you deserve this party then you can have it." Jordyn told us. She pushed right past Josh and wrapped her arms around Ben's neck.

"How are we supposed to prove it to you?" Carmen asked.

"Maybe start by not trying to kill Lucas." Ben laughed. He wrapped his arms around Jordyn's waist and kissed her cheek. Classic.