.4

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."

*****

Los Olivos, California

Michael Jackson -- April 4th, 1991
Location: 5225 Figueroa Mountain, Rd

♪One thing in life, you must understandThe truth of lust, woman to manSo open the door, and you will see-♪

The truth of lust, woman to man
So open the door, and you will see-♪

"There are no secrets make your move, set me free" Teddy Riley clapped his hands as he paused the track. "Switch the lyrics that you have now out for those."

I slid my headphones off, looking at him through the booth with a raised eyebrow.

We've been working on this particular track for a month. We were still perfecting the lyrics. There were some things that I didn't like, that Teddy insisted would sound good, and vise versa. But overall working with him and going through the process was amazing.

He introduced me to his sound, New Jack Swing, and I loved it. It was funky, groovy, and it made you smile hearing it. We were entering a new wave of music that I had to get use to. R&B and Hip Hop were the 'it' sounds. This album had to have it.

The song we were working on, I decided to call it 'In The Closet'. It was for sure going to be on the official tracklisting for the album. I had tons of other songs to choose from too.

Quincy Jones' daughter, Kidada, came to visit me like she usually does. She was a great friend of mine. I'd known Quincy for so long that they were considered my family. Kidada and her sister Rashida were like sisters to me.

After much thinking, I nodded and signaled for him to start the track over. I sang it perfectly and effortlessly until I heard my voice crack a little bit.

"Stop, stop," I sighed as the music ceased from playing again. "The pitch was all wrong."

"Come take a break, Michael," Kidada insisted. "You've been working on this all day."

"It needs to be finished."

"We get it but you need to take a breather. You're gonna work yourself to death, negro."

"Language," I narrowed my eyes at her as I stepped out of the booth.

Teddy stood up with his glasses over his face. "It's time for me to head home, Mike. We'll pick this back up tomorrow, aight? We gone' do this track until we get it right."