.37

- no quote inserted

--

Venice, California

Annalisa Green -- March 20th, 1992
Location: Venice Beach 

Semaij and I tossed little rocks into the ocean, toes buried in the somewhat warm sand, as we talked

Semaij and I tossed little rocks into the ocean, toes buried in the somewhat warm sand, as we talked. It felt like we haven't talked to each other in ages. I really missed her. I hadn't realized how long its been since I've seen her until she called me, asking when was the last time we've been at the beach. 

We really only gotten here a little over an hour ago. The sun was beaming ever so brightly, but it wasn't as warm as I'd expected it to be. Still, we had no care in the world. We didn't bother to bring a jacket to keep us warm, so we'd surely be sick in the next couple of days. 

"Mine got farther than yours," she playfully teased, sticking her tongue out. 

"That's total bs," I snorted. "How are you?"

"I'm as fine as I wanna be. How are you?"

For the first time in a while, I actually had an answer to that. A good enough answer, too. "I'm okay."

"Really?" She glanced at me, with somewhat of a shocked expression on her face. "Truthfully?"

I laughed, chucking another piece of rock out into the water. "Why would I lie?"

"During our mental health checks, you'd lie and say you're fine, but I could tell in your eyes that you weren't," she explained. "And it wouldn't have been a point to pester you with questions until you budged, because I wouldn't have gotten a truthful answer. You're stubborn," she quickly added, knowing that I would be asking another question. 

"Do my eyes give away everything?" Seriously. 

"Of course they do." She laughed, throwing her last rock before sitting down on the sand. I followed suit, pulling my knees up and resting my arms on them. "You are, a very readable person." 

"Damien said the same thing when he --"

"What? When he finally confessed his love for you?"Semaij smirked. 

I frowned. "And how the hell did you know that?"

"He asked me for advice. I told him to go for it, do it, but I didn't know that you'd say no. Ana, he called my phone that same night y'all talked, crying up a storm." 

"Oh my goodness," I mumbled, putting my head down. "I should talk to him again." 

"And break his little heart again? No, Ana." Semaij put her hand on my shoulder. "The moment you bring it up again he's gonna get in his feelings again, leaving him no room to possibly move on. Let him go through this heartbreak alone. You don't need to hover over him. I promise, he'll be alright."