.21

"I'm not good at keeping secrets, but I'm gonna try my hardest to keep THIS one"

--

West Hollywood, Los Angeles

Annalisa Green -- November 16th, 1991
Location: 7871 Santa Monica Blvd, Whole Foods Market

Semaij and I walked through every aisle, collecting each item for Aunt Jolene that she would be needing for dinner tonight.

I've been so caught up with this new friendship that I had, that I almost forgot about Aunt Jolene's birthday. Almost.

She would be turning fourty-nine the day after Thanksgiving. And every year was a celebration. Aunt Jolene made sure to go all out for herself and it wouldn't be any different this time.

I would have to say that Aunt Jolene's birthday parties were legendary. I haven't met anyone that could party like she does. So I was looking forward to her doing it big.

We stopped at the frozen food aisle. Semaij held the freezer door open as I grabbed the two packages of ribs. The menu tonight was cabbage, ribs, baked beans, corn bread, and her infamous apple pie for dessert.

My mouth watered at the thought. I hoped I had an appetite tonight.

"What are you thinking about, girl?" Semaij asked me, taking one of the packages and putting it into the basket.

I did the same and shook my head. "Nothing, just about how full my stomach is going to be tonight."

"Awe yeaaah! I won't even be able to eat that delicious ass pie, because I'm sure I'll be passed out on the couch!"

"I'll try not to eat yours." I joked, making her laugh.

We headed towards the snack aisle to grab us some snacks. Semaij was extending her stay to a week. I was extremely happy. It felt like I haven't seen her in forever. We needed some 'best friend time' together.

I'm sure there was a lot of things that she had to catch me up on. I wish I could say the same, though. Semaij could not know about my friendship with Michael. I can admit, I wasn't good at keeping secrets, but this one - this one I would have to keep.

"I'll have to tell Tone that we won't be able to make it to the beach tonight," she replied, pulling out her pager.

"Tell him that he's more than welcome to eat with us. Aunt Jolene wouldn't mind."

Instead of saying anything back, Semaij ceased from walking and looked at me, surprised. I frowned and started to ask her what was wrong, but she started to yell. Not speak, but yell.