.107

- no quote inserted

--

Los Olivos, California

Michael Jackson -- May 17th, 1994
Location: 5225 Figueroa Mountain Rd.

"Yeah, it's acting up a little bit today," I replied to Karen's question about my lupus

I was diagnosed with it in the 80s along with the vitiligo. On most days I can control it but when it was bad, it was bad. Sometime my cheeks would produce a rosy red color, like now, or I'd have rashes on my face, or butterfly rashes as they called it. Sometime I'd get a headache. My chest would hurt just from coughing. My hair would fall out. It was just horrible.

But like a solider I stood tall and worked as if these problems weren't going on with me. I'd appear happy, healthy, and great in front of others. I had to because this is what my occupation requires. Show no sign of weakness or they'll eat you alive in this business.

Karen came over to cover the current effects happening on my skin. New white patches were leading farther up my arms and legs. And I guess today was butterfly rash day, because my face was as red and irritated as a crowd of angry bees. She was one of the people who had access to see exactly what this was doing to me, since she is my makeup artist. I trusted her without a doubt to make me look normal.

"You're not wearing any gloves or socks today?" She asked me, peppering foundation and powder all over my face.

I nodded with my eyes closed. "Socks, yes, but not gloves. I'm positive that they won't mind as much."

"Okay. Well, I'm almost finished here."

My family was coming over to spend the day with me. Mother wanted to make up for Joseph's behavior after the Family Honors, as always. I hated that she felt obligated to clean up the mess that he created. Joseph knows what he does, he knows that the words he says are hurtful to me. And the fact that he blatantly disrespected Ana, calling her a gold digger is extremely hurtful. It's unacceptable and I wish he'd be a man sometime and apologize for the things he's did/done to me within my thirty-seven years of living.

Ana was going to be home later on today, most likely after my family arrives. It had just turned twelve in the afternoon and she's been at Macy's preparing for the fashion show. Her cousins had flown down as well, and she's managed to gather up more models for the event. Everything was coming together on her end. I was nothing but proud of her. I couldn't wait to see the end result.

Twenty-five minutes later Karen was finished and walking out of the door. Raye came in with the glass of water I'd requested.