.61

- no quote inserted

--

Temple City, California

Annalisa Green -- December 16th, 1992
Location: 1341 Evergreen St

Annalisa Green -- December 16th, 1992Location: 1341 Evergreen St

As Kidada and I stepped out of the car, I could see Aunt Jolene sitting on the porch talking to Evangeline, Angel's mother. Their talking ceased upon hearing us closing the car doors.

"Please don't overeact," I mumbled as Kidada followed me towards the porch.

I kept repeating that over and over until I was standing in front of the two with a little smile on my face.

"Well I'll be damned," Evangeline leaned back in the chair, nodding somewhat in approval. "Angel wasn't lyin' when she said you knew Quincy Jones' kids. She always be lyin'."

"Yeah." I chuckled.

"Kidada? Am I sayin' that right?" Aunt Jolene asked.

"Yes ma'am." Kidada nodded.

"Well it's nice to meet you baby! I'm Ana's aunt. I'm sure she been talkin' crazy about me to you, too." She held her hand out to shake as Kidada giggled.

"She hasn't said anything bad, actually. It was all good things."

"Mhm." Aunt Jolene gave me a 'you're going to tell me about this too' look before giving Kidada a warm motherly smile. "Y'all go on in and make y'all a plate. I just finished makin' dinner early today."

"Thanks." I nodded.

"And yes, you can eat upstairs. I'm making an exception."

"Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically, earning a gentle slap on the arm.

Closing the door, I led Kidada towards the kitchen where there were bowls and containers of food sitting on the table, covered with paper towels. I smelled nothing but her famous peach cobler in the oven, pork steaks, mac and cheese, and corn. My stomach nearly sang in rejoice. I'm so happy I've been having an appetite for her cooking.

"This junk looks so fucking good," Kidada clapped excitedly. "You know I'm making a to-go plate."

"Don't forget about Rashida either." I laughed.

We washed our hands at the sink, dried them, then got started on our plates. There was pleasant conversation and even jokes being passed back and forth between us. This was the most relaxed I've felt around the company I'd bring into my home.