- 0 4 - ALBUS

AMATHEIA COULD SEE SOMETHING BOTHERING HER DAUGHTER

AMATHEIA COULD SEE SOMETHING BOTHERING HER DAUGHTER. Even Brizo was not cheering her up like he normally did. Amatheia decided to speak to the girl about it, but Lorelei wanted nothing to do with her mother right now.

"Is it about those wizards you met?" Amatheia tried to ask but she felt anger thinking about wizards. After she never heard from her wizard again, she hated the idea of wizards and witches. She was just glad the Dark Lord they spoke often of was gone.

Lorelei shrugged and went back to the magic she was doing. A shirt hung on one of the rocks in Lorelei's room.

"Is that a shirt? Did you go up on a full moon?" Amatheia didn't want to sound so angry, but she couldn't help it.

"Why does it matter? Mum, I really want to be alone."

At the Burrow, Albus Dumbledore sat in their home. Molly was not happy about the visitor George had. The boy didn't rat out his two brothers, but Charlie had spoken up on his own accord.

"She's a half-breed, Professor. I have a hunch that it's half-witch," Charlie said, much to the dismay of Molly. She didn't like the fact that her sons had a foreign visitor and didn't tell their mother. What if she was dangerous?

Albus Dumbledore only smiled at the Weasleys. "I believe you are correct, Mr. Weasley. I would love to meet this girl. I think I may know who you are speaking about. What is her name?"

Molly stared at the headmaster incredulously. "Headmaster, what if she's dangerous?"

"She would've hurt your sons if she was. I have a feeling that wasn't Mr. Weasley's first encounter with her, was it?" George shook his head making Molly gasp dramatically.

Fred smirked when he looked out the window and saw a familiar tail in the pond. He walked out of the Burrow unnoticed and approached the girl.

"You're a witch, aren't you?" Fred asked with a grin when her eyes widened. "Don't be frightened about it. Our soon-to-be headmaster is inside talking to mum. He wants to meet you."

Lorelei shook her head. "They'll hurt me, Fred."

"I wouldn't hurt a child like yourself, Miss Lorelei," Albus Dumbledore's voice rang as he approached the pond with George, Charlie, and Molly following.

She looked angrily at George. "You told!"

"I didn't say anything, Lorelei!" George yelled back.

Lorelei was about to swim away, but she watched Brizo swim over to George. "Brizo! Come on! We need to go!" George picked him up with a smirk.

She felt a hand rest on her shoulder making her jump. Seeing everyone on the grass jaw-dropped except for Albus Dumbledore made her heart rate increase. She turned to see her mother looking at her with a stern expression.

"Hello, Amatheia. How are you?" Albus Dumbledore said with an amused smile. The Weasleys looked at Dumbledore waiting for answers. "She is very beautiful. Just like her mother."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Albus. I won't have her learning magic tricks. She's safer in the water," Amatheia said without hesitation.

Dumbledore raised his arms in mock surrender. "I just think she would love the idea, Amatheia. She deserves to train her magical abilities. She doesn't have to leave the water besides school, you know. We have a lake for her to take dives in if needed. Think about it."

"I can go to a witch school?" Lorelei asked feeling hope bubble in her chest.

Molly looked at Dumbledore curiously. She looked back at the two mermaids in her pond when the realization struck. Amatheia must have been knocked up by a wizard creating the hybrid Lorelei was. She knew the girl wasn't a threat at this point. She smiled warmly at the two.

"Hogwarts is awesome. Charlie, Percy, and Bill tell us all sorts of stories. You would love it," Fred said with a grin. George agreed with his brother.

"Albus, I can't let her go out there. They know who she is."

"Only a fair few. I wouldn't let her get hurt, Amatheia. You know this. I protected you all of those years with the Lovegoods," Albus said knowingly. He grinned when Lorelei looked to her mother with pleading eyes.

"I can't make this decision for her. She will want to go, I am sure--"

"I do! Oh, Mum! Can I really!?" Lorelei asked too excited for Amatheia's liking.

Amatheia knew this day would come. The merfolk that were her age were told to keep far from her. She had no friends, and no one was nice to Lorelei unless they were around Amatheia. She sighed thinking about it. "Where will she stay? Where will she get the money, Albus?"

"You know he had a lot of gold before he died. She is his daughter. The goblins will give her what she needs."

"And a place to stay?"

"I am sure the Lovegoods wouldn't mind--"

"I can take her, Headmaster," Molly's voice rang making Lorelei and Amatheia look over in surprise. They had forgotten the Weasleys were even there. "When she isn't in the water, she can live with us. Ginny would like to have another female around." Molly smiled warmly at the two mermaids.

Dumbledore clapped happily. "That settles it, then. Amatheia, you are doing the right thing."

"Am I, Albus?" Amatheia questioned with a stern look.

Without another word, Amatheia was gone back into her sea.

Lorelei looked where her mother had gone in sadness. Her father had ruined the image of wizards and witches when he left her.

"Miss Calypso. You will receive your letter via the Weasleys. The next full moon you need to come up to the surface," Dumbledore said looking at the mermaid who grew up beautifully. "Do be warned, mermaids need water. You cannot allow yourself too long without being in the water."

Lorelei nodded and sunk a bit lower getting nervous. Fred and George began to talk excitedly about the mermaid living with them. Charlie smiled reassuringly at the girl.

"Brizo, come," the crab jumped from George's hands and the two disappeared under the water to find Amatheia.

Dumbledore looked at Molly who was watching the water curiously.

"This is very kind of you, Molly."

"She seems frightened of us. Why?" Molly asked.

Dumbledore sighed. "Her mother tells her how terrible witches and wizards are because she fell in love with one. It didn't end well for either of them."

"Where's her father?"

"Dead."