- 1 6 7 - LOSS OF AN EAR

DESPITE HARRY'S HORRIBLE LANDING WITH HAGRID, LORELEI NEVER FELT SO MUCH RELIEF

DESPITE HARRY'S HORRIBLE LANDING WITH HAGRID, LORELEI NEVER FELT SO MUCH RELIEF. Embry and Ginny tried to hold her back as she ran to him, something about safety, but Lorelei knew it was Harry. There was no doubt in her eyes that it was Harry. She felt him catch her as she threw herself at him, the boy holding her so tight, she thought he was about to squeeze her baby out. Lorelei sniffled into Harry's shoulder before backing away to hold his face in her hands.

"All right, Harry?" Harry nodded. "Hagrid?" Hagrid gruffed out his answer. "What happened? Where are the others?"

Harry led Lorelei inside, knowing the stress and physical movements were not the best for the baby. Once she sat down, he began asking Molly where the others were. Lorelei had seen two portkeys return without the others attached to them, but she grabbed Harry's hand in reassurance. Ron, Tonks, Arthur, and Fred were supposed to return first. George and Remus were next, and Lorelei felt like she was about to throw up. George and Lorelei didn't exchange many words before he left. She hugged him, allowed tears to fall, but he left after a brisk kiss to her forehead and her stomach. Fred was more verbal, explaining that they would be fine. Lorelei wished she had shown George how much she loved him before he left. What if he didn't return?

Lorelei stood up quickly, moving outside to vomit in the grass. Embry followed her, holding her hair back and mumbling that they would be okay, but Lorelei needed to see them. Ursula and Uriah appeared soon, both stating they were fine. Since the polyjuice potion did not work on half-breeds, they were there to divert attention away from the Harry on thestrals. It was dangerous but worth it. Both were supposed to be with two groups; Arthur and Fred's and Remus and George's. Lorelei felt her throat constrict; where were they?

Out of nowhere, a bright blue light shone, two bodies falling from the sky. Lorelei smiled when she noticed Remus, but a frown quickly replaced it. Something was wrong. Remus was supporting George, who was unconscious and whose face was covered in blood. Lorelei screamed despite Embry coaxing her to stay calm as Harry ran to help get George into the Burrow. Lorelei followed, a hand on her stomach as she watched George be placed gently onto the couch. When the light showed his face, Lorelei felt more tears fall at the side of his face: his ear was gone.

Lorelei sat on the floor, one hand running through George's bloody hair and the other holding his hand. She wept silently as Harry was pulled off to speak to Remus, Remus questioning whether or not he was, in fact, Harry. Embry and Ginny sat next to Lorelei, Molly on the edge of the sofa watching Lorelei interact with George. She knew the two were arguing recently, but she didn't want Lorelei to think badly of herself. None of this was her fault.

Before Molly could say anything, a sound from outside had those in there running to see who it was. Molly quickly went to get a towel, giving it to Lorelei who gladly began to clean where his ear used to be. More sniffles left her as she cleaned it, but she tried to keep calm. Their baby was kicking furiously as if he or she knew there was something wrong. When Harry came back, he asked how George was.

"I can't make it grow back, not when it's been removed by Dark Magic. But it could've been so much worse... He's alive," Molly said, everyone now watching the mermaid closely. They knew if anything had happened to George, Lorelei wouldn't have been able to handle it. They sat there quietly until they heard the loud booming voice of Arthur Weasley: "I'll prove who I am, Kingsley, after I've seen my son, now back off if you know what's good for you!"

Fred's eyes were the first that Lorelei looked at since George was brought back in. He seemed at a loss for words as he crouched next to Lorelei, one hand grabbing hers. Perhaps noticing his twin was in the room, George began to stir.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" Molly whispered.

George's hand that wasn't held by Lorelei went to grope the side of his head. He felt around for his ear blindly. He frowned with his eyes closed. "Saintlike," he murmured.

"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. Lorelei kept her mouth shut, feeling another wave of nausea hit her. "Is his mind affected?"

"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking from his brother to Lorelei to Fred again. "You see... I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"

Lorelei let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Molly began to sob. Fred's paling face grew of color again. "Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey."

"Ah well," George said, now grinning at Molly. "You'll be able to tell us apart now, anyway, Mum." He paused, squeezing the hand Lorelei was holding once before his eyes settled on Harry. "Hi, Harry-- you are Harry, right?"

"Yeah, I am," Harry said, placing a hand on Lorelei's shoulder.

"Well, at least we got you back okay," said George. "Why aren't Ron and Bill huddled around my sickbed?"

"They're not back yet, George," Molly said, George's grin fading at that. Everyone left the room besides Fred, George, Embry, and Lorelei. The mermaid still yet to say a word.

George sighed, picking up his legs and looking at Lorelei. "Well, come on, love. That can't be comfortable for you or the baby." Lorelei sat where his legs were, his legs coming to rest on Lorelei's lap. Lorelei felt tears still in her eyes as she gripped George's hand. She moved it to her stomach where the baby was now kicking ferociously. George smiled at the kicks, laughing once they began to subside. Fred touched her stomach next, grinning when the baby kicked where his hand was too.

"I think it's going to be a girl," Lorelei whispered finally.

"Why's that?" Fred asked, still in awe at the baby.

"She's been restless all evening until she heard George's voice. A daddy's girl, no doubt," Lorelei said with a grin.

George's eyes twinkled at the information. Grinning, he kept the hand on her stomach, laughing as the baby kicked both twins' hands.

Their laughter was cut short when Arthur and Molly walked into the living room with sorrowful expressions. Fred frowned. "What's wrong?" he asked, scanning their faces. "What's happened? Who's--"

"Mad-Eye," Arthur said. "Dead."