- 1 5 3 - A WEEK FROM HELL

GEORGE WAITED FOR LORELEI ALL DAY ON FRIDAY

GEORGE WAITED FOR LORELEI ALL DAY ON FRIDAY. He made Fred close the shop as they spent the day at the Burrow. With it now being the end of January and the younger children back at Hogwarts, there wasn't much to do as he waited. Fred stayed inside with their Mum, helping her around the house and hanging out with Bill and Charlie. George was worried he'd miss her.

It was nearing three in the afternoon when Charlie sat down next to George with a small smile on his face. He patted his shoulder twice before saying, "You know, I remember seeing Lorelei for the first time. It was only her eyes, do you remember? We saw the shining of blue in the pond. She swam away before we could say anything that day."

"I remember almost every moment with her. She's unforgettable," George muttered, hand gripping her ring that hung around his neck. "I'm worried about her."

"We all are," Charlie mused. "Dumbledore gave her an almost impossible task, but I don't think she'll be gone the whole four months. There is only so long she can be around other merfolk."

George looked up in alarm. "What do you mean?"

"You know she's a half-breed, George," Charlie said, his eyebrows furrowing. "Merfolk absolutely loathe half-breeds. Why do you think Amatheia hid her away from everyone down there? They don't treat them kindly."

George gripped the ring tighter. "And why did she not tell me this!? I knew they wouldn't be happy to aid the wizarding world, but I didn't think she'd be in trouble anywhere she went. Charlie, I don't feel good about this anymore," he said, worry laced in his tone.

Charlie laughed a bit. "I don't think you've ever been okay with it. You just want her happy."

George stayed silent as he stared at the pond, Charlie refusing to leave his side until Lorelei came. It had been hell, the week was, but he couldn't wait to see her.

Lorelei could feel the familiar waters. It had only been a week, but it felt like forever for the mermaid. She was so used to living out her days with George and Fred always being there. She was so used to just doing what she wanted, but the underwater world was quite different from the wizarding world.

"So who exactly are you meeting?" Bethany asked the question Clara and Florence had been wondering as well. Lorelei was adamant on seeing someone in Ottery St. Catchpole even thought Florence thought they should be on their way to South America by now. Lorelei wouldn't budge.

"I promised him I would try to see him every Friday," she said quietly. "I'll need to tell him I probably won't next week..."

Clara smiled slightly. "Is he a part of this family you speak so highly of... the Weasels?"

"Weasleys," Lorelei said with a laugh. "Yes. He is. If you don't feel comfortable meeting him, you don't have to."

Florence looked at Clara. "Is he important to you?"

"The most important person in my life."

"Then, we want to meet him," Clara finished.

Lorelei could feel her body tingling in anticipation as she reached her cove home. She told her grandparents quickly that this was where Amatheia lived. Clara grinned at the similarities to their cove, but they didn't stay long. Lorelei made it known that Amatheia had died where they were going, but Lorelei has learned to push the negatives aside.

Bethany seemed excited to just meet anyone outside the waters, so she swam close to Lorelei as they moved closer. Before they made it, Lorelei stopped and turned.

"Er... just a warning. Keep your chests under the water. They aren't used to nudity," Lorelei said, glad she had her mother's makeshift bra. Bethany nodded happily while Clara responded with a scoff but a smile nonetheless. "Let me go up first."

George tensed when he saw something under the water. He grabbed Charlie's arm as it came closer. He almost let out a cry when he saw the beautiful blue eyes he loved surfacing. Her dark hair was braided back, shells lining the braid. Her smile was radiant, but George found himself frowning at the bruises that littered her neck.

"Hello, George. Charlie," she said with a beaming grin despite George's frown. She knew what he was looking at, but she knew she had to reassure that everything was fine. "Smile, both of you. I know it's bad. It will heal, I'm fine."

George bit his lip before nodding, knowing he would question her later. Charlie moved forward to hug the girl tightly before leaving to get Fred, Bill, Fleur, and Molly.

George quickly took off his shoes before moving into the water with her. He grabbed her by her waist, noticing her flinch when his hand brushed against her tail, but she only pulled him closer as they hugged. She could feel his body shivering at the cold, but he refused to let her go.

"I'm okay," she reassured, but George wasn't so sure about that. "They just aren't as friendly as I remember. I'm fine. I promise," she said again into his shoulder.

"I love you," was all he responded with.

"I love you more," she said with watery eyes. Soon, she saw Fred running out of the house like a madman. "Uh-oh, Fred-alert!"

George chuckled into her shoulder, making her shiver in pleasure. She had missed him so much.

Fred ran straight into the water, not bothering with his shoes. He tackled the pair, causing them to fall over into the water. Laughing, the trio held each other tightly as the others from the Burrow stared with smiles on their faces.