- 3 2 - OLD PADDOCK

THEY ASKED PERCY IF HE WOULD WANT TO PLAY, BUT HE DENIED

THEY ASKED PERCY IF HE WOULD WANT TO PLAY, BUT HE DENIED. Lorelei sighed, and he almost cracked before quickly leaving. Lorelei frowned further. The rest of them were marching to the old Paddock to play Quidditch.

"Wish we knew what he was up to," she said. "He's not himself."

"His exam results came the day before you did, Harry; twelve OWLs and he hardly gloated at all," Fred said with a matching frown.

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels," George explained to Harry who looked right confused. "Bill got twelve, too. If we're not careful, we'll have another Head Boy in the family. I don't think I could stand the shame."

Fred frowned further as they made it to the makeshift pitch. "Dunno how Mum and Dad are going to afford all our school stuff this year. Five sets of Lockhart book! And Ginny needs robes and a wand and everything..." he trailed off.

Lorelei stopped and frowned. She would have to get away from the Weasleys and slip the money into Molly's purse or something. She would figure it out.

Lorelei caught up to the twins looking at them seriously while Ron and Harry messed around on Harry's Nimbus Two Thousand.

They played for hours. They didn't have real Quidditch balls, but they made do. Lorelei was the lone Chaser. Ron was the Keeper. Fred and George stayed Beaters, but they helped Chase as well. Harry flew to find the 'Snitch.' Arthur had enchanted a fake Snitch for them so Harry could practice. It was rather fun.

Later that evening, Lorelei told Molly she was off for a swim.

As soon as her toes touched the damp grass, her body tingled as the transformation took place. She quickly sat down and allowed her tail to form. With a sigh, she slid into the water. Brizo had followed her.

"What? Now you want to be my friend again?" she teased the crab as she flopped her tail to splash him. He glared at her. "Come here and join the fun."

Brizo happily swam around the pond as Lorelei floated. She flapped her tail here and there and just relished in the feeling.

She heard shoes crunching against leaves. She expected it to be one of the twins or both, but it was only Harry. He hadn't seen her in the water. He seemed to be muttering to himself.

She swam toward the grassy edge and leaned on her crossed arms smirking at the boy. He had no idea she was here.

"Do you answer yourself?" She called out causing him to jump a few inches in the air in fright. "Some say it's mad to talk to yourself, but I think it's even madder to answer yourself."

"Blimey, Lorelei. What're you doing in there?" He walked closer to see a tail flopping against the water behind her. His eyes widened tremendously.

"Swimming. Care to join?" she teased.

"I-Is that--" he stammered.

"My tail? Yes. Ron told you I was a mermaid, Harry. I speak to crabs. Did you think I was mad?"

Brizo huffed next to her. Harry sat down on the edge of the grass and stared at her tail in fascination. He loved the magical world.

"Have you always been a mermaid?" he questioned realizing how stupid he sounded. "Wait... er, I meant--"

Lorelei laughed at his flushed face. "My Mum fancied a wizard. They had me, and my father never returned to her. She raised me with a lovely pair of people, both wizards, for three years. That's when the tail sprouts. I lived in the water until I was eleven. George and Fred found me here. I was observing them," she finished with a grin. "Charlie was my favorite brother."

"Hey!" the twins called out coming to join the conversation. They nudged Lorelei when they sat next to Harry.

"How'd you know you were a witch?" Harry questioned watching her tail again.

She laughed. "Mum hates all wizards and witches besides the Lovegoods and the Weasleys. Since father left her alone, she knew I'd have magical blood somewhere in me. Dumbledore persuaded her to let me go to school."

"I see that was a wonderful choice of mine," Amatheia said rising a bit in the water. Her chest was hidden, thank Neptune. She smiled at the twins. "Hello, little clones and Brizo. Lor, who is this?"

Harry's eyes widened at the mermaid joining the conversation. Did they just appear like that?

"Harry Potter, Mum. The famous wizard who defeated the Dark Lord as an infant," Lorelei said with a dramatic roll of her eyes. Harry grinned at the older mermaid.

She bowed slightly. "Hello, Harry. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"You as well, ma'am."

"Oh, look! He's polite, too! Little clones, you should learn from him!" Amatheia said pointing to Harry. "You can call me Amatheia."

Lorelei grinned at the twins. Ron joined a bit later when he realized his friend was outside. He also enjoyed speaking to the mermaids.

Harry asked a few more questions to which Amatheia happily responded to. After a while, Ron asked Harry to play wizard's chess with him. Amatheia left once Lorelei decided she was tired.

The twins and Lorelei bid Amatheia goodbye. Lorelei stayed up late despite being tired. She and the twins were playing a Muggle board game Arthur had bewitched. Lorelei laughed when the dice rolled in the air and landed on George's head. Brizo was sat happily in Fred's lap.