- 3 5 - POSSESSIVE

DUMBLEDORE SAT ON THE WINDOW SEAT MOTIONING FOR LORELEI TO DO THE SAME

DUMBLEDORE SAT ON THE WINDOW SEAT MOTIONING FOR LORELEI TO DO THE SAME. Lorelei glided her fingers over Brizo's shell in anxiety. She gulped when Dumbledore rose his eyebrows at her.

"I think something happened last night when I got angry," she started. Dumbledore hummed for her to continue. "I think it began to happen when Lucius Malfoy threatened Arthur in Diagon Alley, I don't know. I had George to calm me down, then. Anyway, I was angry and Ron and Harry--"

"Naturally."

"--And then I sent them to bed because Ron begged not to have a lecture. Wait until he hears what Molly is going to send him! Well, anyway, Professor, I walked over to see Alicia in my spot. It's no big deal really, but then I just got so angry. My teeth...this sounds so silly...my teeth felt sharpened."

"Where was Miss Spinnet sitting?"

Why did that matter? She sighed and mumbled, "Next to George."

"Aha, so you were upset Miss Spinnet was sitting next to Mr. Weasley?"

"Now I really sound stupid."

"It is a part of the mermaid puberty we spoke about. There are many types of mermaids. Though your type is a tamer version, when angered, your primal instincts kick in. It was only a matter of time. Yes, Miss Calypso, your teeth will grow to threaten your enemies, whoever they may be. No one ever wants to see an angry mermaid," Dumbledore said with a shrug at the end. "It won't end well at all."

Lorelei laughed a bit at the idea of becoming a monster. "So, is there anything else I need to know about mermaids, Professor?"

"Well, one more thing happens in this mermaid puberty."

"And that is?" she asked wearily.

"Mermaids are very possessive. As you grow, it'll only strengthen. Why do you think Amatheia fought to not allow you in the wizarding world? She didn't want to give you up," he said calmly.

"I'm a possessive, tempered monster? Puberty did well, didn't it, Professor?" she asked causing him to laugh.

"Class will be beginning soon. Just try to focus on keeping your anger controlled. Don't allow silly words and rude gestures to break your spirit, Miss Calypso," he said standing up. "Have a wonderful day."

Lorelei sunk into the glass behind her. That still didn't explain why she had gotten so angry over Alicia sitting next to George. Or did it? She gasped out at the feeling of jealousy in her chest when she thought of Alicia getting any closer to George.

Her eyes widened at the realization. She looked down at Brizo who seemed to be smirking at her.

After her morning classes, she had Double Transfiguration. Fred had linked his arm with Lorelei's as they left the Great Hall after lunch. Lorelei frowned looking around for the other twin.

"Where is George?" she asked trying to sound casual.

Fred snorted. "Alicia is talking his ear off still. She is talking about Quidditch. I heard from Angelina that Alicia is trying to get a Chaser spot. Hoping to kick you or Katie off."

Lorelei's eyes darkened. "She's really getting on my last nerve, Freddie."

"Ah, mine as well. Come. We have McGonagall. Can't be late for that," he said.

They walked in and Fred decided to sit next to Lorelei. He could tell she wasn't her normal cheerful self. He would have to change that.

He watched as George came in with a chattering Alicia at his side. Angelina and Lee weren't far behind both staring at the girl incredulously.

"Oi, Fred? Let me sit there," George tried but Alicia grabbed his arm and pulled him to another table. "Er... nevermind."

Fred watched as Lorelei snapped her quill in half.

"Nice fishy," Fred whispered. He looked back at Angelina. She looked confused as well. Alicia had been acting rather odd, and Lorelei looked like she would snap her neck off when given the chance.

Angelina quickly walked to Fred and leaned to whisper, "If I don't strangle her by the end of the week, praise me." Fred smirked and nodded. He then saw her look over at Lorelei in a concerning manner. "Is she all right?"

"I'm fine, Angie," Lorelei muttered taking a few breaths. Fred smiled and praised her for calming down.

Angelina smiled. After their long Transfiguration lesson, Fred decided he would keep Lorelei as cheerful as he could. They had Lockhart for Defense, and Lorelei groaned out loud making Lockhart look at her oddly.

"And you are?" he drawled with a flirtatious smirk wanting to take her hand to shake it.

"A fourth-year," she deadpanned and watched his face fall.

He smiled quickly after a moment. "Well, your name, of course!"

"Lorelei Calypso, Professor," she said and walked past grabbing Fred's arm. He was snickering.

Lockhart gasped. "The mermaid!? Oh, my dear. You are fascinating!"

She didn't turn around as she said, "Still a fourth-year."

Fred cackled at Lockhart's face. He was not used to the female population not falling to his feet. When George walked in, he frowned at Fred and Lorelei speaking. He wanted to sit with her.

He sat to the table nearest to them and joined in the conversation with Fred. Lorelei smiled at him, but even he could see it was forced. Angelina quickly sat next to George before Alicia making Lorelei release her second quill of the day. She hadn't wanted to break it.

Alicia huffed as she sat as close as she could to the group with Lee. No one could see the daggers she was glaring at Lorelei's head.